Section 22 in The National Food Security Act, 2013
Title: Central Government to allocate required quantity of foodgrains from central pool to State Governments.
(1) The Central Government shall, for ensuring the regular supply of foodgrains to persons belonging to eligible households, allocate from the central pool the required quantity of foodgrains to the State Governments under the Targeted Public Distribution System, as per the entitlements under section 3 and at prices specified in Schedule I.
(2) The Central Government shall allocate foodgrains in accordance with the number of persons belonging to the eligible households identified in each State under section 10.
(3) The Central Government shall provide foodgrains in respect of entitlements under sections 4, 5 and section 6, to the State Governments, at prices specified for the persons belonging to eligible households in Schedule I.
(4) Without prejudice to sub-section (1), the Central Government shall,—
(a) procure foodgrains for the central pool through its own agencies and the State Governments and their agencies;
(b) allocate foodgrains to the States;
(c) provide for transportation of foodgrains, as per allocation, to the depots designated by the Central Government in each State;
(d) provide assistance to the State Government in meeting the expenditure incurred by it towards intra-State movement, handling of foodgrains and margins paid to fair price shop dealers, in accordance with such norms and manner as may be prescribed by the Central Government; and
(e) create and maintain required modern and scientific storage facilities at various levels.
Title: Provisions for funds by Central Government to State Government in certain cases.
In case of short supply of foodgrains from the central pool to a State, the Central Government shall provide funds to the extent of short supply to the State Government for meeting obligations under Chapter II in such manner as may be prescribed by the Central Government.
Title: Implementation and monitoring of schemes for ensuring food security.
(1) The State Government shall be responsible for implementation and monitoring of the schemes of various Ministries and Departments of the Central Government in accordance with guidelines issued by the Central Government for each scheme, and their own schemes, for ensuring food security to the targeted beneficiaries in their State.
(2) Under the Targeted Public Distribution System, it shall be the duty of the State Government to—
(a) take delivery of foodgrains from the designated depots of the Central Government in the State, at the prices specified in Schedule I, organise intra-State allocations for delivery of the allocated foodgrains through their authorised agencies at the door-step of each fair price shop; and
(b) ensure actual delivery or supply of the foodgrains to the entitled persons at the prices specified in Schedule I.
(3) For foodgrain requirements in respect of entitlements under sections 4, 5 and section 6, it shall be the responsibility of the State Government to take delivery of foodgrains from the designated depots of the Central Government in the State, at the prices specified in Schedule I for persons belonging to eligible households and ensure actual delivery of entitled benefits, as specified in the aforesaid sections.
(4) In case of non-supply of the entitled quantities of foodgrains or meals to entitled persons under Chapter II, the State Government shall be responsible for payment of food security allowance specified in section 8.
(5) For efficient operations of the Targeted Public Distribution System, every State Government shall,—
(a) create and maintain scientific storage facilities at the State, District and Block levels, being sufficient to accommodate foodgrains required under the Targeted Public Distribution System and other food based welfare schemes;
(b) suitably strengthen capacities of their Food and Civil Supplies Corporations and other designated agencies;
(c) establish institutionalised licensing arrangements for fair price shops in accordance with the relevant provisions of the Public Distribution System (Control) Order, 2001 made under the Essential Commodities Act, 1955 (10 of 1955), as amended from time.
Title: Implementation of Targeted Public Distribution System by local authority in their areas.
(1) The local authorities shall be responsible for the proper implementation of this Act in their respective areas.
(2) Without prejudice to sub-section (1), the State Government may assign, by notification, additional responsibilities for implementation of the Targeted Public Distribution System to the local authority.
Title: Obligations of local authority.
In implementing different schemes of the Ministries and Departments of the Central Government and the State Governments, prepared to implement provisions of this Act, the local authorities shall be responsible for discharging such duties and responsibilities as may be assigned to them, by notification, by the respective State Governments.