Section 18 in The National Food Security Act, 2013
Title: Designation of any Commission or body to function as State Commission.
The State Government may, if considers it necessary, by notification, designate any statutory commission or a body to exercise the powers and perform the functions of the State Commission referred to in section 16.
Title: Joint State Food Commission.
Notwithstanding anything contained in sub-section (1) of section 16, two or more States may have a Joint State Food Commission for the purposes of this Act with the approval of the Central Government.
Title: Powers relating to inquiries.
(1) The State Commission shall, while inquiring into any matter referred to in clauses (b) and (e) of sub-section (6) of section 16, have all the powers of a civil court while trying a suit under the Code of Civil Procedure, 1908 (5 of 1908) and, in particular, in respect of the following matters, namely:—
(a) summoning and enforcing the attendance of any person and examining him on oath;
(b) discovery and production of any document;
(c) receiving evidence on affidavits;
(d) requisitioning any public record or copy thereof from any court or office; and
(e) issuing commissions for the examination of witnesses or documents.
(2) The State Commission shall have the power to forward any case to a Magistrate having jurisdiction to try the same and the Magistrate to whom any such case is forwarded shall proceed to hear the complaint against the accused as if the case has been forwarded to him under section 346 of the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973 (2 of 1974).
Title: Vacancies, etc., not to invalidate proceedings of State Commission.
No act or proceeding of the State Commission shall be invalid merely by reason of—
(a) any vacancy in, or any defect in the constitution of, the State Commission; or
(b) any defect in the appointment of a person as the Chairperson or a Member of the State Commission; or
(c) any irregularity in the procedure of the State Commission not affecting the merits of the case.
Title: Central Government to allocate required quantity of foodgrains from central pool to State Governments.
(1) The Central Government shall, for ensuring the regular supply of foodgrains to persons belonging to eligible households, allocate from the central pool the required quantity of foodgrains to the State Governments under the Targeted Public Distribution System, as per the entitlements under section 3 and at prices specified in Schedule I.
(2) The Central Government shall allocate foodgrains in accordance with the number of persons belonging to the eligible households identified in each State under section 10.
(3) The Central Government shall provide foodgrains in respect of entitlements under sections 4, 5 and section 6, to the State Governments, at prices specified for the persons belonging to eligible households in Schedule I.
(4) Without prejudice to sub-section (1), the Central Government shall,—
(a) procure foodgrains for the central pool through its own agencies and the State Governments and their agencies;
(b) allocate foodgrains to the States;
(c) provide for transportation of foodgrains, as per allocation, to the depots designated by the Central Government in each State;
(d) provide assistance to the State Government in meeting the expenditure incurred by it towards intra-State movement, handling of foodgrains and margins paid to fair price shop dealers, in accordance with such norms and manner as may be prescribed by the Central Government; and
(e) create and maintain required modern and scientific storage facilities at various levels.