Section 9 in The National Food Security Act, 2013
Title: Coverage of population under Targeted Public Distribution System.
The percentage coverage under the Targeted Public Distribution System in rural and urban areas for each State shall, subject to sub-section (2) of section 3, be determined by the Central Government and the total number of persons to be covered in such rural and urban areas of the State shall be calculated on the basis of the population estimates as per the census of which the relevant figures have been published.
Title: State Government to prepare guidelines and to identify priority households
(1) The State Government shall, within the number of persons determined under section 9 for the rural and urban areas, identify
(a) the households to be covered under the Antyodaya Anna Yojana to the extent specified under sub-section (1) of section 3, in accordance with the guidelines applicable to the said scheme;
(b) the remaining households as priority households to be covered under the Targeted Public Distribution System, in accordance with such guidelines as the State Government may specify:
Provided that the State Government may, as soon as possible, but within such period not exceeding three hundred and sixty-five days, after the commencement of the Act, identify the eligible households in accordance with the guidelines framed under this sub-section:
Provided further that the State Government shall continue to receive the allocation of foodgrains from the Central Government under the existing Targeted Public Distribution System, till the identification of such households is complete.
(2) The State Government shall update the list of eligible households, within the number of persons determined under section 9 for the rural and urban areas, in accordance with the guidelines framed under sub-section (1).
Title: Publication and display of list of eligible households.
The State Government shall place the list of the identified eligible households in the public domain and display it prominently.
Title: Reforms in Targeted Public Distribution System.
(1) The Central and State Governments shall endeavour to progressively undertake necessary reforms in the Targeted Public Distribution System in consonance with the role envisaged for them in this Act.
(2) The reforms shall, inter alia, include—
(a) doorstep delivery of foodgrains to the Targeted Public Distribution System outlets;
(b) application of information and communication technology tools including end-to-end computerisation in order to ensure transparent recording of transactions at all levels, and to prevent diversion;
(c) leveraging ''aadhaar'' for unique identification, with biometric information of entitled beneficiaries for proper targeting of benefits under this Act;
(d) full transparency of records;
(e) preference to public institutions or public bodies such as Panchayats, selfhelp groups, cooperatives, in licensing of fair price shops and management of fair price shops by women or their collectives;
(f) diversification of commodities distributed under the Public Distribution System over a period of time;
(g) support to local public distribution models and grains banks;
(h) introducing schemes, such as, cash transfer, food coupons, or other schemes, to the targeted beneficiaries in order to ensure their foodgrain entitlements specified in Chapter II, in such area and manner as may be prescribed by the Central Government.
Title: Women of eighteen years of age or above to be head of household for purpose of issue of ration cards.
(1) The eldest woman who is not less than eighteen years of age, in every eligible household, shall be head of the household for the purpose of issue of ration cards.
(2) Where a household at any time does not have a woman or a woman of eighteen years of age or above, but has a female member below the age of eighteen years, then, the eldest male member of the household shall be the head of the household for the purpose of issue of ration card and the female member, on attaining the age of eighteen years, shall become the head of the household for such ration cards in place of such male member.