Section 66A in Motor Vehicles Act 1988
Title: National Transportation Policy
1[66A. National Transportation Policy.-- The Central Government may develop a National Transportation Policy consistent with the objects of this Act in concurrence with the State Governments and other agencies with a view to--
(i) establish a planning framework for passengers and goods transportation within which transport bodies are to operate;
(ii) establish a medium and long term planning framework for all forms of road transport, identify areas for the development of transport improvement infrastructure across India in consultation with the authorities and agencies related to ports, railways and aviation as well as with local and State level planning, land holding and regulatory authorities for the delivery of an integrated multimodal transport system;
(iii) establish the framework of grant of permits and schemes;
(iv) establish strategic policy for transport by road and its role as a link to other means of transport;
(v) identify strategic policies and specify priorities for the transport system that address current and future challenges;
(vi) provide medium to long term strategic directions, priorities and actions;
(vii) promote competition, innovation, increase in capacity, seamless mobility and greater efficiency in transport of goods or livestock or passengers, and economical use of resources;
(viii) safeguard the interest of the public and promote equity, while seeking to enhance private participation and public-private partnership in the transport sector;
(ix) demonstrate an integrated approach to transport and land use planning;
(x) identify the challenges that the National Transportation Policy seeks to address; and
(xi) address any other matter deemed relevant by the Central Government.]
1. Ins. by Act 32 of 2019, s. 30 (w.e.f. 1-9-2019)
Title: No bar against permit holders to apply and hold licences under schemes
1[66B. No bar against permit holders to apply and hold licences under schemes.-- No person who holds the permit issued under this Act shall-- (a) be disqualified from applying for a licence under the scheme made under sub-section (3) of section 67 or sub-section (1) of section 88A by reason of holding such permit; and
(b) be required to get such permit cancelled on being issued a licence under any scheme made under this Act.]
Title: Power to State Government to control road transport
1[(1) A State Government, having regard to--
(a) the advantages offered to the public, trade and industry by the development of motor transport;
(b) the desirability of co-ordinating road and rail transport;
(c) the desirability of preventing the deterioration of the road system, and
(d) promoting effective competition among the transport service providers,
may, from time to time, by notification in the Official Gazette issue directions both to the State Transport Authority and Regional Transport Authority regarding the passengers convenience, economically competitive fares, prevention of overcrowding and road safety.]
(2) Any direction under sub-section (1) regarding the fixing of fares and freights for stage carriages, contract carriages and goods carriages may provide that such fares or freights shall be inclusive of the tax payable by the passengers or the consignors of the goods, as the case may be, to the operators of the stage carriages, contract carriages or goods carriages under any law for the time being in force relating to tax on passengers and goods:
2[Provided that the State Government may subject to such conditions as it may deem fit, and with a view to achieving the objectives specified in clause (d) of sub-section (1), relax all or any of the provisions made under this Chapter.]
2[(3) Notwithstanding anything contained in this Act, the State Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, modify any permit issued under this Act or make schemes for the transportation of goods and passengers and issue licences under such scheme for the promotion of development and efficiency in transportation--
(a) last mile connectivity;
(b) rural transport;
(c) reducing traffic congestion;
(d) improving urban transport;
(e) safety of road users;
(f) better utilisation of transportation assets;
(g) the enhancement of economic vitality of the area, through competitiveness, productivity and efficiency;
(h) the increase in the accessibility and mobility of people;
(i) the protection and enhancement of the environment;
(j) the promotion of energy conservation;
(k) improvement of the quality of life;
(l) enhance integration and connectivity of the transportation system, across and between modes of transport; and
(m) such other matters as the Central Government may deem fit.
(4) The scheme framed under sub-section (3), shall specify the fees to be charged, form of application and grant of a licence including the renewal, suspension, cancellation or modification of such licence.]
1. Subs. by s. 31, ibid., for sub-section (1) (w.e.f. 1-9-2019).
2. Ins. by Act 32 of 2019, s. 31 (w.e.f. 1-9-2019).
Title: Transport Authorities
(1) The State Government shall, by notification in the Official Gazette, constitute for the State a State Transport Authority to exercise and discharge the powers and functions specified in sub-section (3), and shall in like manner constitute Regional Transport Authorities to exercise and discharge throughout such areas (in this Chapter referred to as regions) as may be specified in the notification, in respect of each Regional Transport Authority; the powers and functions conferred by or under this Chapter on such Authorities:
Provided that in the Union territories, the Administrator may abstain from constituting any Regional Transport Authority.
(2) A State Transport Authority or a Regional Transport Authority shall consist of a Chairman who has had judicial experience or experience as an appellate or a revisional authority or as an adjudicating authority competent to pass any order or take any decision under any law and in the case of a State Transport Authority, such other persons (whether officials or not), not being more than four and, in the case of a Regional Transport Authority, such other persons (whether officials or not), not being more than two, as the State Government may think fit to appoint; but no person who has any financial interest whether as proprietor, employee or otherwise in any transport undertaking shall be appointed, or continue to be, a member of a State or Regional Transport Authority, and, if any person being a member of any such Authority acquires a financial interest in any transport undertaking, he shall within four weeks of so doing, give notice in writing to the State Government of the acquisition of such interest and shall vacate office:
Provided that nothing in this sub-section shall prevent any of the members of the State Transport Authority or a Regional Transport Authority, as the case may be, to preside over a meeting of such Authority during the absence of the Chairman, notwithstanding that such member does not possess judicial experience or experience as an appellate or a revisional authority or as an adjudicating authority competent to pass any order or take any decision under any law:
Provided further that the State Government may,
(i) where it considers necessary or expedient so to do, constitute the State Transport Authority or a Regional Transport Authority for any region so as to consist of only one member who shall be an official with judicial experience or experience as an appellate or a revisional authority or as an adjudicating authority competent to pass any order or take any decision under any law;
(ii) by rules made in this behalf, provide for the transaction of business of such authorities in the absence of the Chairman or any other member and specify the circumstances under which, and the manner in which, such business could be so transacted:
Provided also that nothing in this sub-section shall be construed as debarring an official (other than an official connected directly with the management or operation of a transport undertaking) from being appointed or continuing as a member of any such authority merely by reason of the fact that the Government employing the official has, or acquires, any financial interest in a transport undertaking.
(3) The State Transport Authority and every Regional Transport Authority shall give effect to any directions issued under section 67 and the State Transport Authority shall, subject to such directions and save as otherwise provided by or under this Act, exercise and discharge throughout the State the following powers and functions, namely:--
(a) to co-ordinate and regulate the activities and policies of the Regional Transport Authorities, if any, of the State;
(b) to perform the duties of a Regional Transport Authority where there is no such Authority and, if it thinks fit or if so required by a Regional Transport Authority, to perform those duties in respect of any route common to two or more regions;
(c) to settle all disputes and decide all matters on which differences of opinion arise between Regional Transport Authorities; and
1[(ca) Government to formulate routes for plying stage carriages;]
(d) to discharge such other functions as may be prescribed.
(4) For the purpose of exercising and discharging the powers and functions specified in sub-section (3), a State Transport Authority may, subject to such conditions as may be prescribed, issue directions to any Regional Transport Authority, and the Regional Transport Authority shall, in the discharge of its functions under this Act, give effect to and be guided by such directions.
(5) The State Transport Authority and any Regional Transport Authority, if authorised in this behalf by rules made under section 96, may delegate such of its powers and functions to such authority or person subject to such restrictions, limitations and conditions as may be prescribed by the said rules.
1. Ins. by Act 32 of 2019, s. 31 (w.e.f. 1-9-2019)
Title: General provision as to applications for permits
(1) Every application for a permit shall be made to the Regional Transport Authority of the region in which it is proposed to use the vehicle or vehicles:
Provided that if it is proposed to use the vehicle or vehicles in two or more regions lying within the same State, the application shall be made to the Regional Transport Authority of the region in which the major portion of the proposed route or area lies, and in case the portion of the proposed route or area in each of the regions is approximately equal, to the Regional Transport Authority of the region in which it is proposed to keep the vehicle or vehicles:
Provided further that if it is proposed to use the vehicle or vehicles in two or more regions lying in different States, the application shall be made to the Regional Transport Authority of the region in which the applicant resides or has his principal place of business.
(2) Notwithstanding anything contained in sub-section (1), the State Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, direct that in the case of any vehicle or vehicles proposed to be used in two or more regions lying in different States, the application under that sub-section shall be made to the State Transport Authority of the region in which the applicant resides or has his principal place of business