Section 57 in Motor Vehicles Act 1988
1[(1) Any person aggrieved by an order of the registering authority under section 41, 42, 43, 45, 47, 48, 49, 50, 52, 53, 55 or 56 may, within thirty days of the date on which he has received notice of such order, appeal against the order to the prescribed authority.]
(2) The appellate authority shall give notice of the appeal to the original authority and after giving an opportunity to the original authority and the appellant to be heard in the appeal pass such orders as it thinks fit.
Title: Special provisions in regard to transport vehicles
(1) The Central Government may, having regard to the number, nature and size of the tyres attached to the wheels of a transport vehicle, (other than a motorcab), and its make and model and other relevant considerations, by notification in the Official Gazette, specify, in relation to each make and model of a transport vehicle, the 1[maximum gross vehicle weight] of such vehicle and the maximum safe axle weight of each axle of such vehicle.
(2) A registering authority, when registering a transport vehicle, other than a motorcab, shall enter in the record of registration and shall also enter in the certificate of registration of the vehicle the following particulars, namely:--
(a) the unladen weight of the vehicle;
(b) the number, nature and size of the tyres attached to each wheel;
(c) the gross vehicle weight of the vehicle and the registered axle weights pertaining to the several axles thereof; and
(d) if the vehicle is used or adapted to be used for the carriage of passengers solely or in addition to goods, the number of passengers for whom accommodation is provided, and the owner of the vehicle shall have the same particulars exhibited in the prescribed manner on the vehicle.
(3) There shall not be entered in the certificate of registration of any such vehicle any gross vehicle weight or a registered axle weight of any of the axles different from that specified in the notification under sub-section (1) in relation to the make and model of such vehicle and to the number, nature and size of the tyres attached to its wheels:
Provided that where it appears to the Central Government that heavier weights than those specified in the notification under sub-section (1) may be permitted in a particular locality for vehicles of a particular type, the Central Government may, by order in the Official Gazette direct that the provisions of this sub-section shall apply with such modifications as may be specified in the order.
(5) In order that the gross vehicle weight entered in the certificate of registration of a vehicle may be revised in accordance with the provisions of sub-section (3), the registering authority may require the owner of transport vehicle in accordance with such procedure as may be prescribed to produce the certificate of registration within such time as may be specified by the registering authority.
1. Subs. by s. 18, ibid., for "maximum safe laden weight" (w.e.f. 14-11-1994).
2. Sub-section (4) omitted by Act 27 of 2000, s. 3 (w.e.f. 11-8-2000).
Title: Power to fix the age limit of motor vehicle
(1) The Central Government may, having regard to the public safety, convenience and objects of this Act, by notification in the Official Gazette, specify the life of a motor vehicle reckoned from the date of its manufacture, after the expiry of which the motor vehicle shall not be deemed to comply with the requirements of this Act and the rules made thereunder:
Provided that the Central Government may specify different ages for different classes or different types of motor vehicles.
(2) Notwithstanding anything contained in sub-section (1), the Central Government may, having regard to the purpose of a motor vehicle, such as, display or use for the purposes of a demonstration in any exhibition, use for the purposes of technical research or taking part in a vintage car rally, by notification in the Official Gazette, exempt, by a general or special order, subject to such conditions as may be specified in such notification, any class or type of motor vehicle from the operation of sub-section (1) for the purpose to be stated in the notification.
(3) Notwithstanding anything contained in section 56, no prescribed authority or authorised testing station shall grant a certificate of fitness to a motor vehicle in contravention of the provisions of any notification issued under sub-section (1).
1[(4) The Central Government may, having regard to the public safety, convenience, protection of the environment and the objects of this Act, make rules prescribing the manner of recycling of motor vehicles and parts thereof which have exceeded their life.]
1. Ins. by Act 32 of 2019, s. 24 (w.e.f. 1-9-2019).
Title: Registration of vehicles belonging to the Central Government
(1) Such authority as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, specify, may register any motor vehicle which is the property or for the time being under the exclusive control of the Central Government and is used for Government purposes relating to the defence of the country and unconnected with any commercial enterprise and any vehicle so registered shall not, so long as it remains the property or under the exclusive control of the Central Government, require to be registered otherwise under this Act.
(2) The authority registering a vehicle under sub-section (1) shall assign a registration mark in accordance with the provisions contained in the rules made in this behalf by the Central Government and shall issue a certificate in respect of that vehicle to the effect that such vehicle complies for the time being with all the requirements of this Act and the rules made thereunder and that the vehicle has been registered under this section.
(3) A vehicle registered under this section shall carry the certificate issued under sub-section (2).
(4) If a vehicle registered under this section ceases to be the property or under the exclusive control of the Central Government, the provisions of sections 39 and 40 shall thereupon apply.
(5) The authority registering a vehicle under sub-section (1) shall furnish to any State Government all such information regarding the general nature, overall dimensions and axle weights of the vehicle as the State Government may at any time require.
Title: Application of Chapter to trailers
(1) The provisions of this Chapter shall apply to the registration of trailers as they apply to the registration of any other motor vehicle.
(2) The registration mark assigned to a trailer shall be displayed in such manner on the side of the drawing vehicle, as may be prescribed by the Central Government.
(3) No person shall drive a motor vehicle to which a trailer is or trailers are attached unless the registration mark of the motor vehicle so driven is displayed on the trailer or on the last trailer in the train, as the case may be, in such manner as may be prescribed by the Central Government.