Section 13 in The School of Planning and Architecture Act, 2014
Title: Board of Governors.
(1) The Board of each School shall be the principal executive body of that School.
(2) The Board of every School shall consist of the following Members, namely:—
(a) Chairperson to be appointed by the Visitor from among a panel of three names recommended by the Central Government who shall be an eminent Architect or Planner;
(b) Principal Secretary or Secretary, Technical Education or Higher Education of the respective State Government or Union territory in which the School is situated;
(c) one representative from the Institute of Town Planners, India to be nominated by the President of the Institute of Town Planners, India;
(d) one representative from the Council of Architecture to be nominated by the President of the Council of Architecture;
(e) a representative from the All India Council for Technical Education to be nominated by the Chairman of All India Council of Technical Education;
(f) a representative of the University Grants Commission;
(g) one expert from the professions of architecture or landscape architecture or urban design and one from Urban and Regional Planning nominated by the Council of School of Planning and Architecture;
(h) two representatives from Senate; one each from Department of Planning and Department of Architecture, by rotation, for a period of two years, in order of seniority;
(i) two persons not below the rank of Joint Secretary to the Government of India to be nominated by the Central Government from amongst persons dealing with technical education and finance or their nominee, ex officio;
(j) one person not below the rank of Joint Secretary to the Government of India to be nominated by the Government of India, Ministry of Urban Development;
(k) the Director of the School, Member, ex officio;
(l) the Registrar of the School shall act as a Secretary to the Board.
Title: Term of office of vacancies among, and allowances payable to, Members of Board.
Save as otherwise provided in this section—
(a) the term of office of the Chairperson or any other Members of the Board shall be five years from the date of his nomination;
(b) the term of office of an ex officio Member shall continue so long as he holds the office by virtue of which he is a Member;
(c) the term of office of a Member nominated under clause (h) of section 13 shall be two years from the date of nomination or till he holds the office whichever is earlier;
(d) a casual vacancy of a Member shall be filled up in accordance with the provisions of section 13;
(e) the term of office of a Member nominated to fill a casual vacancy shall continue for the remainder of the term of the Member in whose place he has been nominated; and
(f) the Members of the Board shall be entitled to such allowances, if any, from the School as may be specified in the Statutes, for attending meetings of the Board or as may be convened by the School but no Member other than the Members referred to in clauses (h), (k) and (l) of sub-section (2) of section 13 shall be entitled to any salary by reason of this clause.
Title: Powers and functions of Board.
(1) Subject to the provisions of this Act, the Board of every School shall be responsible for the general superintendence, direction and control of the affairs of the School and shall have all the powers of School not otherwise provided for by this Act, the Statutes and the Ordinances, and shall have the power to review the acts of the Senate.
(2) Without prejudice to the provisions of sub-section (1), the Board of every School shall have the following powers, namely:—
(a) take decisions on questions of policy relating to the administration and working of the School;
(b) establish departments, faculties or schools of studies and initiate programmes or courses of study at the School;
(c) make Statutes governing the administration, management and operations of such School;
(d) appoint persons to academic and non-academic section of the School;
(e) consider and modify or cancel Ordinances;
(f) consider and pass resolutions on the annual report, the audited accounts and the budget estimates of the School for the next financial year as it thinks fit and submit them to the Council together with a statement of its development plans;
(g) provide, by Statutes, the qualifications, criteria and processes for appointment to teaching and other posts in such School;
(h) exercise such other powers and perform such other duties as may be conferred or imposed upon it by this Act or the Statutes.
(3) The Board shall have the power to appoint such committees, as it considers necessary for the exercise of its powers and the performance of its duties under this Act.
(4) The Board shall conduct an annual review of the performance of the Director with specific reference to his leadership in the context of the achievement of the objects of the School.
(5) The Board shall in exercise of powers and discharge of functions strive, to the extent possible, to provide autonomy in academic matters to the Senate and Departments or Faculties or Schools, as the case may be.
(6) Where in the opinion of the Director or the Chairperson, the situation is so emergent that an immediate decision needs to be taken in the interest of the School, the Chairperson, on the recommendation of the Director may issue such orders as may be necessary, recording the grounds in his opinion:
Provided that such orders shall be submitted for ratification of the Board in the next meeting.
(1) The Senate of every School shall consist of the following persons, namely:—
(a) the Director of the School, Chairman of the Senate, ex officio;
(b) five persons, from amongst the educationists of repute or eminent professionals, who are not in the service of the School, nominated by the Chairperson of the Board of Governors;
(c) a nominee of the Institute of Town Planners, India;
(d) a nominee of the Council of Architecture;
(e) a nominee of All India Council for Technical Education;
(f) Dean in charge of academic, research, student affairs, faculty welfare and planning and development of the School;
(g) all the Heads of the Departments;
(h) all Professors other than the Heads of the Departments;
(i) four Members of the teaching staff, representing Associate Professors and the Assistant Professors of the School, by rotation, for a period of two years:
Provided that an employee of the School shall not be eligible for the membership referred to in clauses (b), (c), (d) and (e).
(2) The term of the Members of the Senate other than ex officio Members shall be two years.
Title: Functions of Senate.
(1) Subject to the provision of this Act, the Statutes and the Ordinances, the Senate of a School shall be the principal academic body of the School and be responsible for the maintenance of standards of instruction, education and examination in the School and shall have such other powers and perform such other duties as may be conferred or imposed upon it by the Statutes.
(2) Without prejudice to the provisions of sub-section (1), the Senate shall have the following powers, namely:—
(a) to specify the criteria and process for admission to courses or programmes of study offered by the School;
(b) to recommend to the Board for creation of teaching and other academic posts, determination of the number and emoluments of such posts and defining the duties and conditions of service of teachers and other academic posts;
(c) to recommend to the Board for the commencement of new programmes and courses of study;
(d) to specify the broad academic content of programmes and courses of study and to undertake modifications therein;
(e) to specify the academic calendar and approve grant of degrees, diplomas and other academic distinctions or titles;
(f) to exercise such other powers and discharge such other functions as may be assigned to it, by Statutes or by the Board.