Section 15 in The National Institutes of Design Act, 2014
1[The Senate of each Institute] shall consist of the following persons, namely:--
(a) the Director, ex officio, who shall be the Chairman of the Senate;
(b) Dean of each Institute campus, ex officio;
(c) Senior Professors of the Institute and of the Institute campuses;
(d) three persons, not being employees of the Institute, to be nominated by the Chairperson in consultation with the Director, from amongst educationists of repute, one each from the fields of science, engineering and humanities and at least one of them shall be a woman;
(e) one alumnus of the Institute to be nominated by the Chairperson in consultation with the Director; and
(f) such other members of the staff as may be laid down in the Statutes.
1. Subs. by Act 38 of 2019, s. 14, for "The Senate of the Institute" (w.e.f. 13-1-2020).
Title: Functions of Senate.
Subject to the provisions of this Act, the Statutes and the Ordinances, 1[the Senate an Institute] shall have the control and general regulation, and be responsible for the maintenance of standards of instruction, education and examination in the Institute and shall exercise such other powers and perform such other duties as may be conferred or imposed upon it by the Statutes.
1. Subs. by s. 15, ibid., for "the Senate of the Institute" (w.e.f. 13-1-2020).
Title: Functions, powers and duties of Chairperson.
(1) The Chairperson shall ordinarily preside at the meetings of the Governing Council and at the convocations of the Institute.
(2) It shall be the duty of the Chairperson to ensure that the decisions taken by the Governing Council are implemented.
(3) The Chairperson shall exercise such other powers and perform such other duties as may be assigned to him by this Act or the Statutes.
(1) The Director of 1[each of the Institutes] shall be appointed by the Central Government for a tenure of five years in such manner and on such terms and conditions of service as may be prescribed.
(2) The Director shall be appointed on the recommendations of the Selection Committee constituted by the Central Government.
(3) The Director shall be the principal executive officer of the Institute and shall be responsible for—
(a) proper administration of the Institute and for imparting of instructions and maintenance of discipline therein;
(b) co-ordination of activities of all the Institute campuses;
(c) examining the development plans of the Institute and each Institute campus and to approve such of them as are considered necessary and also to indicate broadly the financial implications of such approved plans; and
(d) examining the annual budget estimates of the Institute and each Institute campus and to recommend to the Central Government the allocation of funds for that purpose.
(4) The Director shall exercise such other powers and perform such other duties as may be assigned to him by this Act, Statutes and Ordinances.
(5) The Director shall submit annual reports and accounts to the Governing Council.
(6) The Central Government shall have the power to remove the Director before expiry of his tenure, if it considers it appropriate to do so.
1. Subs. by s. 16, ibid., for "the Institute" (w.e.f. 13-1-2020).
(1) The Dean of each Institute campus shall be appointed on such terms and conditions as may be laid down by the Statutes and shall exercise such powers and perform such duties as may be assigned to him by this Act or the Statutes or by the Director.
(2) Without prejudice to the provisions of sub- section (1), the Dean of each Institute campus shall look after all academic, administrative, research and other activities of the Institute campus in consultation with the Director.