Section 4 in The Lokpal and Lokayuktas Act, 2013
Title: Appointment of Chairperson and Members on recommendations of Selection Committee.
(1) The Chairperson and Members shall be appointed by the President after obtaining the recommendations of a Selection Committee consisting of—
(a) the Prime Minister--Chairperson;
(b) the Speaker of the House of the People--Member;
(c) the Leader of Opposition in the House of the People--Member;
(d) the Chief Justice of India or a Judge of the Supreme Court nominated by him--Member;
(e) one eminent jurist, as recommended by the Chairperson and Members referred to in clauses (a) to (d) above, to be nominated by the President--Member.
(2) No appointment of a Chairperson or a Member shall be invalid merely by reason of any vacancy in the Selection Committee.
(3) The Selection Committee shall for the purposes of selecting the Chairperson and Members of the Lokpal and for preparing a panel of persons to be considered for appointment as such, constitute a Search Committee consisting of at least seven persons of standing and having special knowledge and expertise in the matters relating to anti-corruption policy, public administration, vigilance, policy making, finance including insurance and banking, law and management or in any other matter which, in the opinion of the Selection Committee, may be useful in making the selection of the Chairperson and Members of the Lokpal:
Provided that not less than fifty per cent. of the members of the Search Committee shall be from amongst the persons belonging to the Scheduled Castes, the Scheduled Tribes, Other Backward Classes, Minorities and women:
Provided further that the Selection Committee may also consider any person other than the persons recommended by the Search Committee.
(4) The Selection Committee shall regulate its own procedure in a transparent manner for selecting the Chairperson and Members of the Lokpal.
(5) The term of the Search Committee referred to in sub-section (3), the fees and allowances payable to its members and the manner of selection of panel of names shall be such as may be prescribed.
Title: Filling of vacancies of Chairperson or Members.
The President shall take or cause to be taken all necessary steps for the appointment of a new Chairperson and Members at least three months before the expiry of the term of the Chairperson or Member, as the case may be, in accordance with the procedure laid down in this Act.
Title: Term of office of Chairperson and Members.
The Chairperson and every Member shall, on the recommendations of the Selection Committee, be appointed by the President by warrant under his hand and seal and hold office as such for a term of five years from the date on which he enters upon his office or until he attains the age of seventy years, whichever is earlier:
Provided that he may—
(a) by writing under his hand addressed to the President, resign his office; or
(b) be removed from his office in the manner provided in section 37.
Title: Salary, allowances and other conditions of service of Chairperson and Members.
The salary, allowances and other conditions of service of—
(i) the Chairperson shall be the same as those of the Chief Justice of India;
(ii) other Members shall be the same as those of a Judge of the Supreme Court:
Provided that if the Chairperson or a Member is, at the time of his appointment, in receipt of pension (other than disability pension) in respect of any previous service under the Government of India or under the Government of a State, his salary in respect of service as the Chairperson or, as the case may be, as a Member, be reduced—
(a) by the amount of that pension; and
(b) if he has, before such appointment, received, in lieu of a portion of the pension due to him in respect of such previous service, the commuted value thereof, by the amount of that portion of the pension:
Provided further that the salary, allowances and pension payable to, and other conditions of service of, the Chairperson or a Member shall not be varied to his disadvantage after his appointment.
Title: Restriction on employment by Chairperson and Members after ceasing to hold office.
(1) On ceasing to hold office, the Chairperson and every Member shall be ineligible for—
(i) reappointment as the Chairperson or a Member of the Lokpal;
(ii) any diplomatic assignment, appointment as administrator of a Union territory and such other assignment or appointment which is required by law to be made by the President by warrant under his hand and seal;
(iii) further employment to any other office of profit under the Government of India or the Government of a State;
(iv) contesting any election of President or Vice-President or Member of either House of Parliament or Member of either House of a State Legislature or Municipality or Panchayat within a period of five years from the date of relinquishing the post.
(2) Notwithstanding anything contained in sub-section (1), a Member shall be eligible to be appointed as a Chairperson, if his total tenure as Member and Chairperson does not exceed five years.
Explanation.—For the purposes of this section, it is hereby clarified that where the Member is appointed as the Chairperson, his term of office shall not be more than five years in aggregate as the Member and the Chairperson.