Section 3 in The Lokpal and Lokayuktas Act, 2013
Title: Establishment of Lokpal.
(1) On and from the commencement of this Act, there shall be established, for the purpose of this Act, a body to be called the "Lokpal".
(2) The Lokpal shall consist of—
(a) a Chairperson, who is or has been a Chief Justice of India or is or has been a Judge of the Supreme Court or an eminent person who fulfills the eligibility specified in clause (b) of sub-section (3); and
(b) such number of Members, not exceeding eight out of whom fifty per cent. shall be Judicial Members:
Provided that not less than fifty per cent. of the Members of the Lokpal shall be from amongst the persons belonging to the Scheduled Castes, the Scheduled Tribes, Other Backward Classes, Minorities and women.
(3) A person shall be eligible to be appointed,—
(a) as a Judicial Member if he is or has been a Judge of the Supreme Court or is or has been a Chief Justice of a High Court;
(b) as a Member other than a Judicial Member, if he is a person of impeccable integrity and outstanding ability having special knowledge and expertise of not less than twenty-five years in the matters relating to anti-corruption policy, public administration, vigilance, finance including insurance and banking, law and management.
(4) The Chairperson or a Member shall not be—
(i) a member of Parliament or a member of the Legislature of any State or Union territory;
(ii) a person convicted of any offence involving moral turptitude;
(iii) a person of less than forty-five years of age, on the date of assuming office as the Chairperson or Member, as the case may be;
(iv) a member of any Panchayat or Municipality;
(v) a person who has been removed or dismissed from the service of the Union or a State,
and shall not hold any office of trust or profit (other than his office as the Chairperson or a Member) or be affiliated with any political party or carry on any business or practise any profession and, accordingly, before he enters upon his office, a person appointed as the Chairperson or a Member, as the case may be, shall, if—
(a) he holds any office of trust or profit, resign from such office; or
(b) he is carrying on any business, sever his connection with the conduct and management of such business; or
(c) he is practising any profession, cease to practise such profession.
Title: Appointment of Chairperson and Members on recommendations of Selection Committee.
(1) The Chairperson and Members shall be appointed by the President after obtaining the recommendations of a Selection Committee consisting of—
(a) the Prime Minister--Chairperson;
(b) the Speaker of the House of the People--Member;
(c) the Leader of Opposition in the House of the People--Member;
(d) the Chief Justice of India or a Judge of the Supreme Court nominated by him--Member;
(e) one eminent jurist, as recommended by the Chairperson and Members referred to in clauses (a) to (d) above, to be nominated by the President--Member.
(2) No appointment of a Chairperson or a Member shall be invalid merely by reason of any vacancy in the Selection Committee.
(3) The Selection Committee shall for the purposes of selecting the Chairperson and Members of the Lokpal and for preparing a panel of persons to be considered for appointment as such, constitute a Search Committee consisting of at least seven persons of standing and having special knowledge and expertise in the matters relating to anti-corruption policy, public administration, vigilance, policy making, finance including insurance and banking, law and management or in any other matter which, in the opinion of the Selection Committee, may be useful in making the selection of the Chairperson and Members of the Lokpal:
Provided that not less than fifty per cent. of the members of the Search Committee shall be from amongst the persons belonging to the Scheduled Castes, the Scheduled Tribes, Other Backward Classes, Minorities and women:
Provided further that the Selection Committee may also consider any person other than the persons recommended by the Search Committee.
(4) The Selection Committee shall regulate its own procedure in a transparent manner for selecting the Chairperson and Members of the Lokpal.
(5) The term of the Search Committee referred to in sub-section (3), the fees and allowances payable to its members and the manner of selection of panel of names shall be such as may be prescribed.
Title: Filling of vacancies of Chairperson or Members.
The President shall take or cause to be taken all necessary steps for the appointment of a new Chairperson and Members at least three months before the expiry of the term of the Chairperson or Member, as the case may be, in accordance with the procedure laid down in this Act.
Title: Term of office of Chairperson and Members.
The Chairperson and every Member shall, on the recommendations of the Selection Committee, be appointed by the President by warrant under his hand and seal and hold office as such for a term of five years from the date on which he enters upon his office or until he attains the age of seventy years, whichever is earlier:
Provided that he may—
(a) by writing under his hand addressed to the President, resign his office; or
(b) be removed from his office in the manner provided in section 37.
Title: Salary, allowances and other conditions of service of Chairperson and Members.
The salary, allowances and other conditions of service of—
(i) the Chairperson shall be the same as those of the Chief Justice of India;
(ii) other Members shall be the same as those of a Judge of the Supreme Court:
Provided that if the Chairperson or a Member is, at the time of his appointment, in receipt of pension (other than disability pension) in respect of any previous service under the Government of India or under the Government of a State, his salary in respect of service as the Chairperson or, as the case may be, as a Member, be reduced—
(a) by the amount of that pension; and
(b) if he has, before such appointment, received, in lieu of a portion of the pension due to him in respect of such previous service, the commuted value thereof, by the amount of that portion of the pension:
Provided further that the salary, allowances and pension payable to, and other conditions of service of, the Chairperson or a Member shall not be varied to his disadvantage after his appointment.