Section 23 in The Indian Institutes of Information Technology Act, 2014
(1) The Chairperson shall ordinarily preside over the meetings of the Board, Finance Committee and at the convocations of the Institute.
(2) It shall be the duty of the Chairperson to ensure that the decisions taken by the Board are implemented.
(3) The Chairperson shall exercise such other powers and perform such other duties as may be assigned to him by this Act or the Statutes.
(1) The Director of a Institute shall be appointed by the Central Government from a panel of names recommended in order of merit by a search-cum-selection committee with prior approval of the Visitor.
(2) The search-cum-selection committee shall consist of the following, namely:—
(a) an eminent person to be nominated by the Minister in charge of Human Resource Development in the Government of India as Chairperson of the Committee;
(b) the Chairperson, Board of Governors of the concerned Indian Institutes of Information Technology — Member, ex officio;
(c) Secretary incharge of Higher Education in the Government of India Member, ex officio;
(d) Director of a 1[Indian Institutes of Information Technology] to be nominated by Minister incharge of Human Resource Development — Member, ex officio;
(e) a person of eminence in the field of information technology to be nominated by Minister incharge of Human Resource Development;
(f) Head of Bureau, Ministry of Human Resource Development dealing with Indian Institutes of Information Technology — non-member Secretary, ex officio.
(3) The Director shall be appointed on such terms and conditions of service as may be provided by the Statutes.
(4) The Director shall be the principal academic and executive officer of the Institute and shall be responsible for the implementation of the decisions of the Board and Senate and day-to-day administration of the Institute.
(5) The Director shall exercise such other powers and perform such other duties as may be assigned to him by this Act or the Statutes or delegated by the Board or the Senate or the Ordinances.
(6) The Director shall submit annual reports and audited accounts to the Board.
(7) The Director may during his absence from the headquarters, authorise the Deputy Director or one of the Deans or the senior most Professor present, to sanction advances for travelling allowances, contingencies and medical treatment of the staff and sign and countersign bills on his behalf and authorise to the Deputy Director or one of the Dean or the senior most Professor present, by him in writing.
1. Subs. by Act 25 of 2017, s. 2, for "Indian Institutes of Information Technology" (w.e.f. 7-9-2017).
(1) The Registrar of every Institute shall be appointed on such terms and conditions as may be laid down by the Statutes and shall be the custodian of records, the common seal, the funds of the Institute and such other property of the Institute as the Board shall commit to his charge.
(2) The Registrar shall act as the Secretary of the Board, Senate and such committees as may be prescribed by the Statutes.
(3) The Registrar shall be responsible to the Director for the proper discharge of his functions.
(4) The Registrar shall exercise such other powers and perform such other duties as may be assigned to him by this Act or the Statutes or by the Director.
Title: Other authorities and officers
(1) The Board may, by Statutes, declare such other posts as authorities of the Institute and specify the duties and function of each such authority.
(2) The Board may constitute such authorities as it may deem fit for proper management of affairs of the Institute.
Title: Review of performance of Institute.
(1) Each Institute shall, within five years from the establishment and incorporation of Institute under this Act and thereafter at the expiration of every fifth year, constitute, with the prior approval of the Central Government, a Committee to evaluate and review the performance of the Institute in achievement of its objects in the said period.
(2) The Committee under sub-section (1) shall consist of members of acknowledged repute in academia or industry, drawn from such fields of knowledge as may have relevance to teaching, learning and research in such Institute.
(3) The Committee shall assess the performance of Institute and make recommendations on—
(a) the extent of fulfilment of the objects of the Institute referred to in section 6, as demonstrated by the state of teaching, learning and research and its contribution to society;
(b) the promotion of transformational research and its impact on industry and society;
(c) the advancement of fundamental research beyond the current frontiers of knowledge;
(d) the establishment of the Institute as amongst the global leaders in the area of information technology;
(e) such other matters as the Board may specify.
(4) The Board shall consider the recommendations referred to in sub-section (3) and take such action on it as it may deem fit:
Provided that the recommendations of the Committee along with an explanatory memorandum on the action taken or proposed to be taken, specifying the reasons thereof, shall be submitted to the Central Government.