Section 22 in The Indian Institutes of Information Technology Act, 2014
Title: Research Council.
(1) Each Institute shall establish a Research Council comprising of the Director and such other members as may be specified, by Statutes, by the Board.
(2) The Research Council of each Institute shall—
(a) interface with research funding organisations, industry and civil society to identify potential areas for research;
(b) to organise and promote research in such Institute or in collaboration with any institution of higher learning or research laboratories;
(c) assist teachers in obtaining funding from external sources for research projects prepared by them;
(d) provide, out of the funds placed at its disposal by the Board, research resources and grant assistance for research projects proposed to be undertaken by teachers in such Institute;
(e) provide for incubation of technology applications emerging from research and to protect and utilise the intellectual property obtained from research in the Institutes;
(f) make provision for research and advisory services and for that purpose enter into such arrangements with other institutions, industry, civil society or other organisations and enable the fruits of research to be disseminated to industry and society through such arrangements;
(g) exercise such other powers and perform such other duties as may be assigned to it by Statutes.
(1) The Chairperson shall ordinarily preside over the meetings of the Board, Finance Committee and at the convocations of the Institute.
(2) It shall be the duty of the Chairperson to ensure that the decisions taken by the Board are implemented.
(3) The Chairperson shall exercise such other powers and perform such other duties as may be assigned to him by this Act or the Statutes.
(1) The Director of a Institute shall be appointed by the Central Government from a panel of names recommended in order of merit by a search-cum-selection committee with prior approval of the Visitor.
(2) The search-cum-selection committee shall consist of the following, namely:—
(a) an eminent person to be nominated by the Minister in charge of Human Resource Development in the Government of India as Chairperson of the Committee;
(b) the Chairperson, Board of Governors of the concerned Indian Institutes of Information Technology — Member, ex officio;
(c) Secretary incharge of Higher Education in the Government of India Member, ex officio;
(d) Director of a 1[Indian Institutes of Information Technology] to be nominated by Minister incharge of Human Resource Development — Member, ex officio;
(e) a person of eminence in the field of information technology to be nominated by Minister incharge of Human Resource Development;
(f) Head of Bureau, Ministry of Human Resource Development dealing with Indian Institutes of Information Technology — non-member Secretary, ex officio.
(3) The Director shall be appointed on such terms and conditions of service as may be provided by the Statutes.
(4) The Director shall be the principal academic and executive officer of the Institute and shall be responsible for the implementation of the decisions of the Board and Senate and day-to-day administration of the Institute.
(5) The Director shall exercise such other powers and perform such other duties as may be assigned to him by this Act or the Statutes or delegated by the Board or the Senate or the Ordinances.
(6) The Director shall submit annual reports and audited accounts to the Board.
(7) The Director may during his absence from the headquarters, authorise the Deputy Director or one of the Deans or the senior most Professor present, to sanction advances for travelling allowances, contingencies and medical treatment of the staff and sign and countersign bills on his behalf and authorise to the Deputy Director or one of the Dean or the senior most Professor present, by him in writing.
1. Subs. by Act 25 of 2017, s. 2, for "Indian Institutes of Information Technology" (w.e.f. 7-9-2017).
(1) The Registrar of every Institute shall be appointed on such terms and conditions as may be laid down by the Statutes and shall be the custodian of records, the common seal, the funds of the Institute and such other property of the Institute as the Board shall commit to his charge.
(2) The Registrar shall act as the Secretary of the Board, Senate and such committees as may be prescribed by the Statutes.
(3) The Registrar shall be responsible to the Director for the proper discharge of his functions.
(4) The Registrar shall exercise such other powers and perform such other duties as may be assigned to him by this Act or the Statutes or by the Director.
Title: Other authorities and officers
(1) The Board may, by Statutes, declare such other posts as authorities of the Institute and specify the duties and function of each such authority.
(2) The Board may constitute such authorities as it may deem fit for proper management of affairs of the Institute.