Section 20 in The Indian Institutes of Information Technology Act, 2014
Title: Building and Works Committee.
The Building and Works Committee of each Institute shall consist of the following persons, namely:—
(a) the Director, ex officio, who shall be the Chairperson of the Committee;
(b) one person nominated by Indian Institute of Technology located in the State in which the Institute is situated;
(c) one person nominated by the Board from amongst its members;
(d) Dean, Planning and Development;
(e) a civil engineer not below the rank of superintending engineer in the Government or Government Agency nominated by the Board;
(f) an electrical engineer not below the rank of superintending engineer in the Government or Government Agency nominated by the Board;
(g) the officer incharge of Estate of the Institute, ex officio Secretary.
Title: Powers and functions of Building and Works Committee.
The Building and Works Committee shall discharge the following powers and functions, namely:—
(a) it shall be the responsibility of the Committee for construction of all major capital works after securing from the Board the necessary administrative approval and financial sanction;
(b) it shall have the power to give the necessary administrative approval and financial sanction for all construction work and work pertaining to maintenance and repairs, within the grant place at the disposal of the Institute for the purpose;
(c) it shall cause to be prepared estimates of cost of building and other capital work, minor works, repair, maintenance and the like;
(d) it shall be responsible for making technical scrutiny of each work as may be considered necessary by it;
(e) it shall be responsible for enlistment of suitable contractors and acceptance of tenders and shall have the power to give direction for departmental works where necessary.
Title: Research Council.
(1) Each Institute shall establish a Research Council comprising of the Director and such other members as may be specified, by Statutes, by the Board.
(2) The Research Council of each Institute shall—
(a) interface with research funding organisations, industry and civil society to identify potential areas for research;
(b) to organise and promote research in such Institute or in collaboration with any institution of higher learning or research laboratories;
(c) assist teachers in obtaining funding from external sources for research projects prepared by them;
(d) provide, out of the funds placed at its disposal by the Board, research resources and grant assistance for research projects proposed to be undertaken by teachers in such Institute;
(e) provide for incubation of technology applications emerging from research and to protect and utilise the intellectual property obtained from research in the Institutes;
(f) make provision for research and advisory services and for that purpose enter into such arrangements with other institutions, industry, civil society or other organisations and enable the fruits of research to be disseminated to industry and society through such arrangements;
(g) exercise such other powers and perform such other duties as may be assigned to it by Statutes.
(1) The Chairperson shall ordinarily preside over the meetings of the Board, Finance Committee and at the convocations of the Institute.
(2) It shall be the duty of the Chairperson to ensure that the decisions taken by the Board are implemented.
(3) The Chairperson shall exercise such other powers and perform such other duties as may be assigned to him by this Act or the Statutes.
(1) The Director of a Institute shall be appointed by the Central Government from a panel of names recommended in order of merit by a search-cum-selection committee with prior approval of the Visitor.
(2) The search-cum-selection committee shall consist of the following, namely:—
(a) an eminent person to be nominated by the Minister in charge of Human Resource Development in the Government of India as Chairperson of the Committee;
(b) the Chairperson, Board of Governors of the concerned Indian Institutes of Information Technology — Member, ex officio;
(c) Secretary incharge of Higher Education in the Government of India Member, ex officio;
(d) Director of a 1[Indian Institutes of Information Technology] to be nominated by Minister incharge of Human Resource Development — Member, ex officio;
(e) a person of eminence in the field of information technology to be nominated by Minister incharge of Human Resource Development;
(f) Head of Bureau, Ministry of Human Resource Development dealing with Indian Institutes of Information Technology — non-member Secretary, ex officio.
(3) The Director shall be appointed on such terms and conditions of service as may be provided by the Statutes.
(4) The Director shall be the principal academic and executive officer of the Institute and shall be responsible for the implementation of the decisions of the Board and Senate and day-to-day administration of the Institute.
(5) The Director shall exercise such other powers and perform such other duties as may be assigned to him by this Act or the Statutes or delegated by the Board or the Senate or the Ordinances.
(6) The Director shall submit annual reports and audited accounts to the Board.
(7) The Director may during his absence from the headquarters, authorise the Deputy Director or one of the Deans or the senior most Professor present, to sanction advances for travelling allowances, contingencies and medical treatment of the staff and sign and countersign bills on his behalf and authorise to the Deputy Director or one of the Dean or the senior most Professor present, by him in writing.
1. Subs. by Act 25 of 2017, s. 2, for "Indian Institutes of Information Technology" (w.e.f. 7-9-2017).