Section 14 in The Indian Institutes of Information Technology Act, 2014
Title: Term of office of, vacancies among, and allowances payable to, members of Board.
(1) Save as otherwise provided in this section, the term of office of member of the Board, other than the ex officio member, shall be three years from the date of nomination.
(2) The term of office of an ex officio member shall continue so long as he holds the office by virtue of which he is a member.
(3) The term of office of a member nominated under clause (h) of sub-section (2) of section 13 shall be two years from the date of nomination.
(4) A member of the Board, other than an ex officio member, who fails to attend three consecutive meetings of the Board, shall cease to a member of the Board.
(5) Notwithstanding anything contained in this section, an outgoing member shall, unless the Council directs, continue in office until another person is nominated as a member in his place.
(6) Members of the Board shall be entitled to such allowances, as may be specified in the Statutes, for attending meetings of the Board or as may be convened by the Institute.
Title: Powers and functions of Board of Governors.
(1) Subject to the provisions of this Act, the Board of every Institute shall be responsible for the general superintendence, direction and control of the affairs of the Institute and shall have the power to frame, amend, modify or rescind the Statutes and Ordinances governing the affairs of the Institute to achieve the objects specified in section 6.
(2) Without prejudice to the provisions of sub-section (1), the Board shall have the following powers, namely:—
(a) to take decisions on questions of policy relating to the administration and working of the Institute;
(b) to establish departments, faculties or schools of studies and initiate programmes or courses of study at the Institute;
(c) to examine and approve the annual budget estimates of such Institute;
(d) to examine and approve the plan for development of such Institute and to identify sources of finance for implementation of the plan;
(e) to create teaching and other academic posts, to determine, by Statutes, the number and emoluments of such posts and to define the duties and conditions of service of teachers and other academic staff:
Provided that the Board shall not take action otherwise than on consideration of the recommendations of the Senate;
(f) to provide, by Statutes, the qualifications, criteria and processes for appointment to teaching and other posts in such Institute;
(g) to fix fees, by the Statutes and other charges to be demanded for pursuit of studies in the Institute;
(h) to make Statutes governing the administration, management and operations of such Institute; and
(i) to exercise such other powers and perform such other duties as may be conferred or imposed upon it by this Act or Statutes.
(3) The Board shall have the power to appoint such committees, as it considers necessary for the exercise of its powers and the performance of its duties under this Act.
(4) The Board shall conduct an annual review of the performance of the Direct with specific reference to his leadership in the context of the achievement of the objects of the Institute.
(5) Where in the opinion of the Director or the Chairperson, the situation is so emergent that an immediate decision needs to be taken in the interest of the Institute, the Chairperson, in consultation with the Director may issue such orders as may be necessary, recording the grounds for his opinion:
Provided that such orders shall be submitted for ratification of the Board in the next meeting.
(1) The Senate of each Institute shall consist of the following persons, namely:—
(a) Director of the Institute, ex officio Chairperson;
(b) Deputy Director, ex officio;
(c) Deans, ex officio;
(d) Heads of the Departments of the Institute, ex officio;
(e) all Professors other than the Deans or Heads of the Departments;
(f) three persons from amongst educationists of repute or persons from another field related to the activities of the Institute who are not in service of the Institute, nominated by the Board of Governors;
(g) three persons who are not members of teaching staff co-opted by the Senate for their specialised knowledge;
(h) Registrar of the Institute, ex officio Secretary.
(2) The term of office of members other than ex officio member shall be two years from the date of nomination.
(3) The term of office of an ex officio member shall continue so long as he holds the office by virtue of which he is a member.
Title: Powers and functions of Senate.
(1) Subject to the provisions of this Act, the Senate shall be the principal academic body of the Institute and shall have the power to enact, amend, modify Ordinances, governing academic matters and the affairs and well-being of students in the Institute.
(2) Without prejudice to the provisions of sub-section (1), the Senate shall have the following powers, namely:—
(a) to specify the criteria and process for admission to courses or programmes of study offered by the Institute;
(b) to recommend to the Board creation of teaching and other academic posts, determination of the number and emoluments of such posts and defining the duties and conditions of service of teachers and other academic posts;
(c) to recommend to the Board about commencement of new programmes or courses of study;
(d) to specify the broad academic content of programmes and courses of study and undertake modifications therein;
(e) to specify the academic calendar and approve grant of degrees, diplomas and other academic distinctions or titles;
(f) to appoint examiners, moderators, tabulators and such other personnel for different examinations;
(g) to recognise diplomas and degrees or Universities and other Institutes and to determine equivalence with the diplomas and degrees of the Institute;
(h) to suggest measures for departmental co-ordination;
(i) to make major recommendations to the Board of Governors on—
(a) measures for improvement of standard of teaching, training and research;
(b) institution of chairs, fellowships, scholarships, studentships, free-ships, medals and prizes and other related matters;
(c) establishment or abolition of departments or centres; and
(d) bye-laws covering the academic functioning of the institute, discipline, residence, admissions, examinations, award of fellowships and studentships, free-ships concessions, attendance and other related matters;
(j) to appoint sub-committees to advise on such specific matters as may be referred to by the Board of Governors or by itself;
(k) to consider the recommendations of the sub-committees and to take such action including making of recommendations to the Board of Governors as may be required;
(l) to take periodical review of the activities of the Departments or Centres and to take appropriate action including making of recommendations to the Board of Governors with a view to maintain and improve the standards of instructions, in the institutions; and
(m) to exercise such other powers and discharge such other functions as may be assigned to it, by Statutes or otherwise, by the Board.
Title: Finance Committee.
(1) The Finance Committee of each Institute shall consist of the following persons, namely:—
(a) the Chairperson, Board of Governors, ex officio, who shall be the Chairperson of the Committee;
(b) one representative of the Government of India, Ministry of Human Resource Development, Department of Higher Education handling the matters relating to Indian Institute of Information Technology, ex officio;
(c) one representative of the Government of India, Ministry of Human Resource Development, Department of Higher Education handling the matters relating to finance, ex officio; (d) two persons nominated by the Board;
(e) the Director, ex officio;
(f) the Officer incharge of Finance and Accounts of the Institute, ex officio Secretary.
(2) The members of the Finance Committee other than ex officio members shall hold office for a term of three years.