Section 11 in The Indian Institutes of Information Technology Act, 2014
(1) The President of India shall be the Visitor of every Institute.
(2) The Visitor may appoint one or more persons to review the work and progress of any Institute and to hold inquiries into the affairs thereof and to report thereon in such manner as the Visitor may direct.
(3) Upon receipt of any such report, the Visitor may take such action and issue such directions as he considers necessary in respect of any of the matters dealt with in the report and the Institute shall be bound to comply with such directions within a reasonable time.
Title: Authorities of Institute.
The following shall be the authorities of an Institute, namely:—
(a) Board of Governors;
(c) Finance Committee;
(d) Building and Works Committee;
(e) Research Council;
(f) such other authorities as may be declared by the Statutes to be the authorities of the Institute.
Title: Board of Governors.
(1) The Board of Governors of each Institute shall be the principal executive body of that Institute.
(2) The Board of Governors of each Institute shall consist of the following members, namely:—
(a) a Chairperson, an eminent technologist or industrialist or educationist to be nominated by the Visitor from a panel of three names recommended by the Central Government;
(b) Secretary incharge of Information Technology or Higher Education in the State in which the Institute is located, ex officio;
(c) one representative of the Department of Higher Education, Government of India dealing with Indian Institute of Information Technology, ex officio;
(d) one representative of the Ministry of Communication and Information Technology, Government of India, ex officio;
(e) Director of Indian Institute of Technology to be nominated by the Central Government;
(f) Director of Indian Institute of Management to be nominated by the Central Government;
(g) four persons having special knowledge or practical experience in respect of information technology or engineering or science or allied areas to be nominated by the Council;
(h) two Professors of the Institute nominated by the Senate;
(i) Director of the Institute, ex officio;
(j) the Registrar, ex officio Secretary.
Title: Term of office of, vacancies among, and allowances payable to, members of Board.
(1) Save as otherwise provided in this section, the term of office of member of the Board, other than the ex officio member, shall be three years from the date of nomination.
(2) The term of office of an ex officio member shall continue so long as he holds the office by virtue of which he is a member.
(3) The term of office of a member nominated under clause (h) of sub-section (2) of section 13 shall be two years from the date of nomination.
(4) A member of the Board, other than an ex officio member, who fails to attend three consecutive meetings of the Board, shall cease to a member of the Board.
(5) Notwithstanding anything contained in this section, an outgoing member shall, unless the Council directs, continue in office until another person is nominated as a member in his place.
(6) Members of the Board shall be entitled to such allowances, as may be specified in the Statutes, for attending meetings of the Board or as may be convened by the Institute.
Title: Powers and functions of Board of Governors.
(1) Subject to the provisions of this Act, the Board of every Institute shall be responsible for the general superintendence, direction and control of the affairs of the Institute and shall have the power to frame, amend, modify or rescind the Statutes and Ordinances governing the affairs of the Institute to achieve the objects specified in section 6.
(2) Without prejudice to the provisions of sub-section (1), the Board shall have the following powers, namely:—
(a) to take decisions on questions of policy relating to the administration and working of the Institute;
(b) to establish departments, faculties or schools of studies and initiate programmes or courses of study at the Institute;
(c) to examine and approve the annual budget estimates of such Institute;
(d) to examine and approve the plan for development of such Institute and to identify sources of finance for implementation of the plan;
(e) to create teaching and other academic posts, to determine, by Statutes, the number and emoluments of such posts and to define the duties and conditions of service of teachers and other academic staff:
Provided that the Board shall not take action otherwise than on consideration of the recommendations of the Senate;
(f) to provide, by Statutes, the qualifications, criteria and processes for appointment to teaching and other posts in such Institute;
(g) to fix fees, by the Statutes and other charges to be demanded for pursuit of studies in the Institute;
(h) to make Statutes governing the administration, management and operations of such Institute; and
(i) to exercise such other powers and perform such other duties as may be conferred or imposed upon it by this Act or Statutes.
(3) The Board shall have the power to appoint such committees, as it considers necessary for the exercise of its powers and the performance of its duties under this Act.
(4) The Board shall conduct an annual review of the performance of the Direct with specific reference to his leadership in the context of the achievement of the objects of the Institute.
(5) Where in the opinion of the Director or the Chairperson, the situation is so emergent that an immediate decision needs to be taken in the interest of the Institute, the Chairperson, in consultation with the Director may issue such orders as may be necessary, recording the grounds for his opinion:
Provided that such orders shall be submitted for ratification of the Board in the next meeting.