Section 9 in The Indian Institutes of Information Technology Act, 2014
Title: Teaching at Institute.
All teaching at each of the Institute shall be conducted by or in the name of the Institute in accordance with the Statutes and Ordinances made in this behalf.
Title: Institute to be a distinct legal entity not-for-profit.
Each Institute shall be a not-for-profit legal entity and no part of the surplus, if any, in revenue of such Institute, after meeting all expenditure in regard to its operations under this Act, shall be invested for any purpose other than for the growth and development of such Institute or for conducting research therein.
(1) The President of India shall be the Visitor of every Institute.
(2) The Visitor may appoint one or more persons to review the work and progress of any Institute and to hold inquiries into the affairs thereof and to report thereon in such manner as the Visitor may direct.
(3) Upon receipt of any such report, the Visitor may take such action and issue such directions as he considers necessary in respect of any of the matters dealt with in the report and the Institute shall be bound to comply with such directions within a reasonable time.
Title: Authorities of Institute.
The following shall be the authorities of an Institute, namely:—
(a) Board of Governors;
(c) Finance Committee;
(d) Building and Works Committee;
(e) Research Council;
(f) such other authorities as may be declared by the Statutes to be the authorities of the Institute.
Title: Board of Governors.
(1) The Board of Governors of each Institute shall be the principal executive body of that Institute.
(2) The Board of Governors of each Institute shall consist of the following members, namely:—
(a) a Chairperson, an eminent technologist or industrialist or educationist to be nominated by the Visitor from a panel of three names recommended by the Central Government;
(b) Secretary incharge of Information Technology or Higher Education in the State in which the Institute is located, ex officio;
(c) one representative of the Department of Higher Education, Government of India dealing with Indian Institute of Information Technology, ex officio;
(d) one representative of the Ministry of Communication and Information Technology, Government of India, ex officio;
(e) Director of Indian Institute of Technology to be nominated by the Central Government;
(f) Director of Indian Institute of Management to be nominated by the Central Government;
(g) four persons having special knowledge or practical experience in respect of information technology or engineering or science or allied areas to be nominated by the Council;
(h) two Professors of the Institute nominated by the Senate;
(i) Director of the Institute, ex officio;
(j) the Registrar, ex officio Secretary.