Section 8 in The Indian Institutes of Information Technology Act, 2014
Title: Institute to be open to all races, creeds and classes.
(1) Every Institute shall be open to all persons irrespective of gender, caste, creed, disability, domicile, ethnicity, social or economic background.
(2) No bequest, donation or transfer of any property shall be accepted by any Institute which in the opinion of the Council involves conditions or obligations opposed to the spirit and object of this section.
(3) Admissions to every programme of study in each Institute shall be based on merit assessed through transparent and reasonable criteria disclosed through its prospectus, prior to the commencement of the process of admission by such Institute:
Provided that every such Institute shall be a Central Educational Institution for the purposes of the Central Educational Institutions (Reservation in Admission) Act, 2006 (5 of 2007).
Title: Teaching at Institute.
All teaching at each of the Institute shall be conducted by or in the name of the Institute in accordance with the Statutes and Ordinances made in this behalf.
Title: Institute to be a distinct legal entity not-for-profit.
Each Institute shall be a not-for-profit legal entity and no part of the surplus, if any, in revenue of such Institute, after meeting all expenditure in regard to its operations under this Act, shall be invested for any purpose other than for the growth and development of such Institute or for conducting research therein.
(1) The President of India shall be the Visitor of every Institute.
(2) The Visitor may appoint one or more persons to review the work and progress of any Institute and to hold inquiries into the affairs thereof and to report thereon in such manner as the Visitor may direct.
(3) Upon receipt of any such report, the Visitor may take such action and issue such directions as he considers necessary in respect of any of the matters dealt with in the report and the Institute shall be bound to comply with such directions within a reasonable time.
Title: Authorities of Institute.
The following shall be the authorities of an Institute, namely:—
(a) Board of Governors;
(c) Finance Committee;
(d) Building and Works Committee;
(e) Research Council;
(f) such other authorities as may be declared by the Statutes to be the authorities of the Institute.