Section 39 in The Mental Healthcare Act 2017
Title: Member not to participate in meetings in certain cases
Any member having any direct or indirect interest, whether pecuniary or otherwise, in any matter coming up for consideration at a meeting of the Central Authority, shall, as soon as possible after the relevant circumstances have come to his knowledge, disclose the nature of his interest at such meeting and such disclosure shall be recorded in the proceedings of the Central Authority, and the member shall not take any part in any deliberation or decision of the Authority with respect to that matter.
Title: Officers and other employees of Central Authority
(1) There shall be a chief executive officer of the Authority, not below the rank of the Director to the Government of India, to be appointed by the Central Government.
(2) The Authority may, with the approval of the Central Government, determine the number, nature and categories of other officers and employees required by the Central Authority in the discharge of its functions.
(3) The salaries and allowances payable to, and the other terms and conditions of service (including the qualifications, experience and manner of appointment) of, the chief executive officer and other officers and employees of the Central Authority shall be such as may be specified by regulations with the approval of the Central Government.
Title: Functions of chief executive officer of Central Authority
(1) The chief executive officer shall be the legal representative of the Central Authority and shall be responsible for—
(a) the day-to-day administration of the Central Authority;
(b) implementing the work programmes and decisions adopted by the Central Authority;
(c) drawing up of proposal for the Central Authority's work programmes;
(d) the preparation of the statement of revenue and expenditure and the execution of the budget of the Central Authority.
(2) Every year, the chief executive officer shall submit to the Central Authority for approval—
(a) a general report covering all the activities of the Central Authority in the previous year;
(b) programmes of work;
(c) the annual accounts for the previous year; and
(d) the budget for the coming year.
(3) The chief executive officer shall have administrative control over the officers and other employees of the Central Authority.
Title: Transfer of assets liabilities of Central Authority
On the establishment of the Central Authority—
(a) all the assets and liabilities of the Central Authority for Mental Health Services constituted under sub-section (1) of section 3 of the Mental Health Act, 1987 (14 of 1987) shall stand transferred to, and vested in, the Central Authority.
Explanation.—The assets of such Central Authority for Mental Health Services shall be deemed to include all rights and powers, and all properties, whether movable or immovable, including, in particular, cash balances, deposits and all other interests and rights in, or arising out of, such properties as may be in the possession of such Unique Identification Authority of India and all books of account and other documents relating to the same; and liabilities shall be deemed to include all debts, liabilities and obligations of whatever kind;
(b) without prejudice to the provisions of clause (a), all data and information collected during enrolment, all details of authentication performed, debts, obligations and liabilities incurred, all contracts entered into and all matters and things engaged to be done by, with or for such Central Authority for Mental Health Services immediately before that day, for or in connection with the purpose of the said Central Authority for Mental Health Services, shall be deemed to have been incurred, entered into or engaged to be done by, with or for, the Central Authority;
(c) all sums of money due to the Central Authority for Mental Health Services immediately before that day shall be deemed to be due to the Central Authority; and
(d) all suits and other legal proceedings instituted or which could have been instituted by or against such Central Authority for Mental Health Services immediately before that day may be continued or may be instituted by or against the Central Authority.
Title: Functions of Central Authority
(1) The Central Authority shall—
(a) register all mental health establishments under the control of the Central Government and maintain a register of all mental health establishments in the country based on information provided by all State Mental Health Authorities of registered establishments and compile update and publish (including online on the internet) a register of such establishments;
(b) develop quality and service provision norms for different types of mental health establishments under the Central Government;
(c) supervise all mental health establishments under the Central Government and receive complaints about deficiencies in provision of services;
(d) maintain a national register of clinical psychologists, mental health nurses and psychiatric social workers based on information provided by all State Authorities of persons registered to work as mental health professionals for the purpose of this Act and publish the list (including online on the internet) of such registered mental health professionals;
(e) train all persons including law enforcement officials, mental health professionals and other health professionals about the provisions and implementation of this Act;
(f) advise the Central Government on all matters relating to mental healthcare and services;
(g) discharge such other functions with respect to matters relating to mental health as the Central Government may decide:
Provided that the mental health establishments under the control of the Central Government, before the commencement of this Act, registered under the Mental Health Act, 1987 (14 of 1987) or any other law for the time being in force, shall be deemed to have been registered under the provisions of this Act and copy of such registration shall be furnished to the Central Authority.
(2) The procedure for registration (including the fees to be levied for such registration) of the mental health establishments under this section shall be such as may be prescribed by the Central Government.