Section 38 in The Indian Institutes of Information Technology (Publicprivate Partnership) Act 2017
Title: Co ordination Forum
(1) In order that there may be better co-ordination among the Institutes, the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, establish, with effect from such date as may be specified in the notification, a central body to be called the Co-ordination Forum for all the Institutes specified in column (5) of the Schedule.
(2) The Co-ordination Forum shall consist of the following members, namely:—
(i) the Minister in-charge of the Ministry or Department of the Central Government having administrative control of technical education, ex officio, as Chairperson;
(ii) Secretary to the Government of India, in-charge of the Department of the Central Government having administrative control of technical education, ex officio;
(iii) four Secretaries in-charge of department looking after Indian Institutes of Information Technology of State Governments in which the Institutes are located, to be nominated by the Chairperson of the Co-ordination Forum, by rotation for two years, ex officio;
(iv) four Chairpersons of the Institutes, to be nominated by the Chairperson of the Co-ordination Forum, by rotation for two years;
(v) the Directors of each of the Institutes, ex officio;
(vi) four industry partners, to be nominated by the Chairperson of the Co-ordination Forum, not more than one from any Institute, by rotation every two years;
(vii) three persons of eminence, of which at least one shall be a woman, in academia, industry or public service, to be nominated by the Co-ordination Forum; and
(viii) one representative of All India Council of Technical Education:
Provided that while nominating under clauses (iii), (iv) and (vi), care shall be taken to ensure representation of as many Institutes as possible by selecting Secretaries of State Governments, Chairpersons of the Institutes, and representatives of industry partners from the Board of different Institutes to the extent possible.
(3) An officer of the Department of Higher Education, Government of India, not below the rank of Joint Secretary, concerned with technical education, ex officio, to act as the Member-Secretary of the Co-ordination Forum.
(4) The Co-ordination Forum may, at its discretion, constitute a Standing Committee of the Indian Institute of Information Technology Co-ordination Forum (Public-private Partnership) to assist the Co-ordination Forum in discharge of its duties and responsibilities.
(5) The expenditure on the Co-ordination Forum shall be met by the resources pooled by all the Institutes governed by this Act.
Title: Term of office and allowances payable to members of Co ordination Forum
(1) The term of office of a member referred to in clause (viii) of sub-section (2) of section 38 shall be three years from the date of nomination.
(2) The term of office of an ex officio member shall continue so long as the member holds the office by virtue of which he is a member.
(3) While nominating members to the Co-ordination Forum under clauses (iii), (iv) and (vi) of sub-section (2) of section 38, the Chairperson of the Co-ordination Forum shall, to the extent possible, ensure maximum possible representation from each Institute.
(4) The members of the Co-ordination Forum shall be entitled to travelling and such other allowances, as may be prescribed, for attending meetings of the Co-ordination Forum or its Committees thereof.
Title: Functions and duties of Co ordination Forum
(1) The Co-ordination Forum shall facilitate the sharing of experience, ideas and concerns with a view to enhancing the performance of all the Institutes.
(2) Without prejudice to the provisions of sub-section (1), the Co-ordination Forum shall perform the following functions, namely:—
(a) advise the Central Government to include a new institution or exclude an existing institution from the Schedule;
(b) deliberate on such matters of common interest to Institutes as may be referred to it by any Institute;
(c) promote necessary co-ordination and co-operation in the working of the Institutes;
(d) recommend to the Central Government, the institution of scholarships including for research and for the benefit of students belonging to the Scheduled Castes, the Scheduled Tribes and other socially and educationally backward classes of citizens; and
(e) perform such other functions as may be referred to it by the Central Government or any State Government:
Provided that nothing in this section shall derogate the powers and functions vested by law in the Board or Senate or other authorities of each Institute.
(3) The Chairperson of the Co-ordination Forum shall ordinarily preside at the meetings of the Co-ordination Forum and in the absence, the Secretary to the Government of India, in-charge of the Department of the Central Government having administrative control of technical education, shall preside at the meeting.
(4) The Co-ordination Forum shall meet at least once in every year, or as and when deemed necessary by the Chairperson of the Co-ordination Forum, and follow such procedure in its meetings, as may be prescribed.
Title: Power to make rules
(1) The Central Government may, after previous publication, by notification make rules for carrying out the provisions of this Act.
(2) In particular, and without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing power, such rules may provide for all or any of the following matters, namely:—
(a) the form and manner in which the State Government shall submit proposal to the Central Government under sub-section (2) of section 11;
(b) the investment proposal of capital in establishment of the Institute and the respective shares under sub-section (7) of section 11;
(c) the travelling and other allowances payable to members of the Co-ordination Forum under sub-section (4) of section 39;
(d) the procedure to be followed in the meetings of the Co-ordination Forum under sub-section (4) of section 40.
Title: Acts and proceedings not to be invalidated by vacancies etc
No act of the Co-ordination Forum, or any Institute or Board or Senate or any other body set up under this Act or the Statutes, shall be invalid merely by reason of—
(a) any vacancy or defect in the constitution thereof; or
(b) any irregularity in its procedure not affecting the merits of the case; or
(c) any defect in the selection, nomination or appointment of a person acting as a member thereof.