Section 18 in The Indian Institutes of Information Technology (Publicprivate Partnership) Act 2017
(1) The Senate of every Institute shall consist of the following persons, namely:—
(a) the Director of the Institute who shall be the ex officio Chairperson of the Senate;
(b) all Deans, ex officio;
(c) heads of all departments, faculties or schools, ex officio, as the case may be, of the Institute;
(d) all full-time professors other than the Deans or heads of the Departments;
(e) three persons from amongst educationists of repute or persons from another field related to the activities of the Institute who are not in service of the Institute, nominated by the Board;
(f) three persons who are not members of teaching staff co-opted by the Senate for their specialised knowledge; and
(g) Registrar of the Institute, ex officio Secretary.
(2) The term of office of members nominated under clauses (e) and (f) shall be for a period of two years from the date of nomination.
(3) The term of office of an ex officio member shall continue so long as the member holds the office by virtue of which he is a member.
Title: Powers and functions of Senate
(1) Subject to the provisions of this Act, the Statutes and the Ordinances, the Senate shall be the principal academic body of the Institute and shall have the power to enact, amend or modify the Ordinances governing academic matters and the affairs and well-being of students.
(2) Without prejudice to the provisions of sub-section (1), the Senate shall have the following powers, namely:—
(a) to specify the criteria and procedure for admission to courses or programmes of study offered by the Institute;
(b) to recommend to the Board creation of teaching and other academic posts, determination of the number and emoluments of such posts and defining the duties and conditions of service of teachers and other academic posts;
(c) to recommend to the Board about starting of new programmes or courses of study;
(d) to specify the broad academic content of programmes and courses of study and undertake modifications therein;
(e) to specify the academic calendar and approve grant of degrees, diplomas and other academic distinctions or titles;
(f) to appoint examiners, moderators, tabulators and such other personnel for different examinations;
(g) to recognise diplomas and degrees of Universities and other Institutes and to determine equivalence with the diplomas and degrees of the Institute;
(h) to suggest measures for departmental co-ordination;
(i) to make major recommendations to the Board of Governors on—
(A) measures for improvement of standard of teaching, training and research;
(B) institution of chairs, fellowships, scholarships, studentships, freeships, medals and prizes and other related matters;
(C) establishment or abolition of departments or centres; and
(D) academic functioning of the Institute, discipline, residence, admissions, examinations, award of fellowships and studentships, freeships, concessions, attendance and other related matters;
(j) to appoint sub-committees to advise on such specific matters as may be referred to by the Board or by itself;
(k) to consider the recommendations of the sub-committees and to take such action including making of recommendations to the Board as may be required;
(l) to take periodical review of the activities of the departments or centres and to take appropriate action including making of recommendations to the Board with a view to maintain and improve the standards of instructions, in the institutions; and
(m) to exercise such other powers and discharge such other functions as may be assigned to it, by Statutes or otherwise, by the Board.
Title: Finance Committee
(1) The Finance Committee of each Institute shall consist of the following persons, namely:—
(a) the Chairperson of the Board shall be the ex officio Chairperson of the Committee;
(b) one representative of the Government of India, Ministry of Human Resource Development, Department of Higher Education handling the matters relating to finance, ex officio;
(c) one representative of the State Government in which the Institute is located, ex officio;
(d) one representative of the industry partners chosen from amongst themselves;
(e) the Director, ex officio; and
(f) the officer in-charge of finance and accounts of the Institute, ex officio Secretary.
(2) The members of the Finance Committee other than ex officio members shall hold office for a term of three years.
Title: Powers and functions of Finance Committee
The Finance Committee shall examine the accounts, scrutinise proposals for expenditure and financial estimates of the Institute and thereafter submit it to the Board together with its comments for approval.
(1) The Chairperson shall ordinarily preside over the meetings of the Board, Finance Committee and at the convocations of the Institute.
(2) It shall be the duty of the Chairperson to ensure that the decisions taken by the Board are implemented.
(3) The Chairperson shall exercise such other powers and perform such other duties as may be assigned to him by this Act or the Statutes.