Section 17 in The Indian Institutes of Information Technology (Publicprivate Partnership) Act 2017
Title: Powers and functions of Board
(1) Subject to the provisions of this Act, the Board shall be responsible for the general policy making, superintendence, providing direction and shall have the power to frame, amend, modify or rescind the Statutes and the Ordinances governing the affairs of the Institute to achieve the objectives specified in section 6.
(2) Without prejudice to the provisions of sub-section (1), the Board shall have the following powers, namely:—
(a) to decide questions of policy relating to the Institute;
(b) to establish departments, faculties or schools of studies and initiate programmes or courses of study at the Institute;
(c) to examine and approve the annual budget estimates of the Institute;
(d) to examine and approve the plan for development of the Institute and to identify sources of finance for implementation of the plan;
(e) to create teaching, academic, administrative, technical and other posts and to make appointments thereto;
(f) to provide by the Statutes, the qualifications, criteria and processes for appointment to teaching and other posts in the Institute;
(g) to approve fees and other charges payable for pursuit of studies, courses or programmes in the Institute;
(h) to make Statutes, subject to provisions of section 32, governing the administration, management and operations of such Institute;
(i) to grant degrees, diplomas and other academic distinctions or titles, and to institute and award fellowships, scholarships, prizes and medals; and
(j) to exercise such other powers and perform such other duties as may be conferred or imposed by this Act or the Statutes.
(3) The Board may, subject to the provisions of this Act and the Statutes, delegate such powers and functions to the Senate or the Director, as the Board may deem fit.
(4) The Board shall put in place policies to make the Institute self-sustaining within a period of five years.
(5) The Board shall periodically conduct a review of the performance of the Director with specific reference to the leadership in the achievement of the objectives of the Institute.
(6) The Board shall in exercise of the powers and discharge of functions strive to provide autonomy in academic matters to the Senate and departments of faculties or schools, as the case may be.
(7) Wherein the opinion of the Director or the Chairperson, the situation is so emergent that an immediate decision needs to be taken in the interest of the Institute, the Chairperson, in consultation with the Director, may issue such orders as may be necessary, recording in writing the grounds for the opinion:
Provided that such orders shall be submitted for ratification of the Board in the next meeting.
(1) The Senate of every Institute shall consist of the following persons, namely:—
(a) the Director of the Institute who shall be the ex officio Chairperson of the Senate;
(b) all Deans, ex officio;
(c) heads of all departments, faculties or schools, ex officio, as the case may be, of the Institute;
(d) all full-time professors other than the Deans or heads of the Departments;
(e) three persons from amongst educationists of repute or persons from another field related to the activities of the Institute who are not in service of the Institute, nominated by the Board;
(f) three persons who are not members of teaching staff co-opted by the Senate for their specialised knowledge; and
(g) Registrar of the Institute, ex officio Secretary.
(2) The term of office of members nominated under clauses (e) and (f) shall be for a period of two years from the date of nomination.
(3) The term of office of an ex officio member shall continue so long as the member holds the office by virtue of which he is a member.
Title: Powers and functions of Senate
(1) Subject to the provisions of this Act, the Statutes and the Ordinances, the Senate shall be the principal academic body of the Institute and shall have the power to enact, amend or modify the Ordinances governing academic matters and the affairs and well-being of students.
(2) Without prejudice to the provisions of sub-section (1), the Senate shall have the following powers, namely:—
(a) to specify the criteria and procedure for admission to courses or programmes of study offered by the Institute;
(b) to recommend to the Board creation of teaching and other academic posts, determination of the number and emoluments of such posts and defining the duties and conditions of service of teachers and other academic posts;
(c) to recommend to the Board about starting of new programmes or courses of study;
(d) to specify the broad academic content of programmes and courses of study and undertake modifications therein;
(e) to specify the academic calendar and approve grant of degrees, diplomas and other academic distinctions or titles;
(f) to appoint examiners, moderators, tabulators and such other personnel for different examinations;
(g) to recognise diplomas and degrees of Universities and other Institutes and to determine equivalence with the diplomas and degrees of the Institute;
(h) to suggest measures for departmental co-ordination;
(i) to make major recommendations to the Board of Governors on—
(A) measures for improvement of standard of teaching, training and research;
(B) institution of chairs, fellowships, scholarships, studentships, freeships, medals and prizes and other related matters;
(C) establishment or abolition of departments or centres; and
(D) academic functioning of the Institute, discipline, residence, admissions, examinations, award of fellowships and studentships, freeships, concessions, attendance and other related matters;
(j) to appoint sub-committees to advise on such specific matters as may be referred to by the Board or by itself;
(k) to consider the recommendations of the sub-committees and to take such action including making of recommendations to the Board as may be required;
(l) to take periodical review of the activities of the departments or centres and to take appropriate action including making of recommendations to the Board with a view to maintain and improve the standards of instructions, in the institutions; and
(m) to exercise such other powers and discharge such other functions as may be assigned to it, by Statutes or otherwise, by the Board.
Title: Finance Committee
(1) The Finance Committee of each Institute shall consist of the following persons, namely:—
(a) the Chairperson of the Board shall be the ex officio Chairperson of the Committee;
(b) one representative of the Government of India, Ministry of Human Resource Development, Department of Higher Education handling the matters relating to finance, ex officio;
(c) one representative of the State Government in which the Institute is located, ex officio;
(d) one representative of the industry partners chosen from amongst themselves;
(e) the Director, ex officio; and
(f) the officer in-charge of finance and accounts of the Institute, ex officio Secretary.
(2) The members of the Finance Committee other than ex officio members shall hold office for a term of three years.
Title: Powers and functions of Finance Committee
The Finance Committee shall examine the accounts, scrutinise proposals for expenditure and financial estimates of the Institute and thereafter submit it to the Board together with its comments for approval.