Section 13 in The Indian Institutes of Information Technology (Publicprivate Partnership) Act, 2017
Title: Authorities of Institute
The following shall be the authorities of an Institute, namely:—
(b) Board of Governors;
(d) Finance Committee;
(e) such other authorities or posts as may be declared by the Statutes to be the authorities of the Institute.
Title: Board of Governors
(1) The Board of Governors of each Institute shall be the principal policy making and executive body of the Institute.
(2) The Board shall consist of the following members, namely:—
(a) Chairperson, an eminent technologist or industrialist or educationist to be nominated by the Visitor on the recommendation of the Central Government;
(b) one nominee each of the Central Government and the concerned State Government;
(c) three eminent persons, of which at least one shall be a woman, appointed by the Board out of industry, research laboratories, and civil society, one from each category;
(d) two eminent academicians appointed by the Board;
(e) one nominee representing each of the industry partners:
Provided that if there are more than two industry partners then the number of representatives of industry partners at any time would be limited to two, chosen amongst themselves by rotation every two years;
(f) Director of an Indian Institute of Technology or a National Institute of Technology located in the region, to be nominated by the Board;
(g) two members from the faculty of the Institute, preferably one Professor and one Associate/Assistant Professor, to be nominated by the Senate;
(h) one person from the Scheduled Castes or the Scheduled Tribes distinguished in the field of education or industry or social service or public service, to be nominated by the Board, in case any of the above do not belong to the Scheduled Castes or the Scheduled Tribes; and
(i) Director of the Institute, ex officio.
(3) Registrar of the concerned Institute shall be the ex officio non-member Secretary of the Board.
(4) The First Board of Governors shall be notified by the Central Government by obtaining nominations under sub-section (2), other than the members referred to in clauses (c), (d), (f) and (h), which shall be decided in the first meeting of the Board of Governors.
Title: Term of office of, vacancies among and allowances payable to, members of Board
(1) Save as otherwise provided in this section, the term of office of the Chairperson or any other member of the Board, other than an ex officio member, shall be for a period of three years from the date of nomination.
(2) The term of office of an ex officio member shall continue so long as the member holds the office by virtue of which he is a member.
(3) A member of the Board, other than an ex officio member, who fails to attend three consecutive meetings of the Board without the leave of absence, shall cease to be a member of the Board.
(4) One-third of the members of the Board shall form a quorum of the Board, provided at least three members are from members referred to in clauses other than clauses (e), (g) and (i) of sub-section (2) of section 14.
(5) The members of the Board shall be entitled to such allowances, as may be laid down in Statutes, for attending meetings of the Board or as may be convened by the Institute.
Title: Resignation of Chairperson
(1) The Chairperson may, by writing under his hand addressed to the Visitor, resign his office.
(2) Any member of the Board, except ex officio members, may, by writing under his hand addressed to the Chairperson, resign his office.
Title: Powers and functions of Board
(1) Subject to the provisions of this Act, the Board shall be responsible for the general policy making, superintendence, providing direction and shall have the power to frame, amend, modify or rescind the Statutes and the Ordinances governing the affairs of the Institute to achieve the objectives specified in section 6.
(2) Without prejudice to the provisions of sub-section (1), the Board shall have the following powers, namely:—
(a) to decide questions of policy relating to the Institute;
(b) to establish departments, faculties or schools of studies and initiate programmes or courses of study at the Institute;
(c) to examine and approve the annual budget estimates of the Institute;
(d) to examine and approve the plan for development of the Institute and to identify sources of finance for implementation of the plan;
(e) to create teaching, academic, administrative, technical and other posts and to make appointments thereto;
(f) to provide by the Statutes, the qualifications, criteria and processes for appointment to teaching and other posts in the Institute;
(g) to approve fees and other charges payable for pursuit of studies, courses or programmes in the Institute;
(h) to make Statutes, subject to provisions of section 32, governing the administration, management and operations of such Institute;
(i) to grant degrees, diplomas and other academic distinctions or titles, and to institute and award fellowships, scholarships, prizes and medals; and
(j) to exercise such other powers and perform such other duties as may be conferred or imposed by this Act or the Statutes.
(3) The Board may, subject to the provisions of this Act and the Statutes, delegate such powers and functions to the Senate or the Director, as the Board may deem fit.
(4) The Board shall put in place policies to make the Institute self-sustaining within a period of five years.
(5) The Board shall periodically conduct a review of the performance of the Director with specific reference to the leadership in the achievement of the objectives of the Institute.
(6) The Board shall in exercise of the powers and discharge of functions strive to provide autonomy in academic matters to the Senate and departments of faculties or schools, as the case may be.
(7) Wherein the opinion of the Director or the Chairperson, the situation is so emergent that an immediate decision needs to be taken in the interest of the Institute, the Chairperson, in consultation with the Director, may issue such orders as may be necessary, recording in writing the grounds for the opinion:
Provided that such orders shall be submitted for ratification of the Board in the next meeting.