Section 23 in The Indian Institute of Management Act 2017
Title: Accounts and audit
(1) Every Institute shall maintain proper accounts including income and expenditure statements, internal audit report and statement audited by internal auditor specifying investments and other relevant records and prepare annual statement of accounts including the balance sheet in such form and as per such accounting standard as may be specified by notification by the Central Government in consultation with the Comptroller and Auditor-General of India.
(2) Where the statement of income and expenditure and the balance sheet of the Institute do not comply with the accounting standards, the Institute shall disclose in its statement of income and expenditure and balance sheet, the following, namely:—
(a) the deviation from the accounting standards;
(b) the reasons for such deviation; and
(c) the financial effect, if any, arising out of such deviation.
(3) The accounts of every Institute shall be audited by the Comptroller and Auditor-General of India and any expenditure incurred by audit team in connection with such audit shall be payable by the Institute to the Comptroller and Auditor-General of India.
(4) The Comptroller and Auditor-General of India and any person appointed by him in connection with the audit of the accounts of the Institute shall have the same rights, privileges and authority in connection with such audit as the Comptroller and Auditor-General of India has in connection with the audit of the Government accounts and, in particular, shall have the right to demand the production of books, accounts, connected vouchers and other documents and papers and to inspect the offices of the Institute.
(5) The accounts of every Institute as certified by the Comptroller and Auditor-General of India or any other person appointed by him in this behalf together with the audit report thereon shall be forwarded annually to the Central Government and that Government shall cause the same to be laid before each House of Parliament in accordance with such procedure as may be laid down by the Central Government.
Title: Books of account to be maintained by Institute
Every Institute shall keep proper updated books of account with respect to—
(a) all sums of money received and expended by it and the matters in respect of which receipt and expenditure takes place;
(b) the assets and liabilities of the Institute;
(c) the properties, movable and immovable of the Institute.
Explanation.—For the purposes of this section, if books of account give a true and fair view of the state of affairs of the Institute and its transactions, it shall be deemed as proper books of account with respect to the matters specified therein.
Title: Appointment of auditors
(1) The Board of every Institute shall, prior to the end of every financial year, and without prejudice to the provisions contained in the Comptroller and Auditor-General's (Duties, Powers and Conditions of Service) Act, 1971 (56 of 1971) or any other law for the time being in force containing provisions for audit of accounts by the Institutes, appoint such auditors including the internal auditor, on such remuneration as it thinks appropriate, to scrutinise the balance sheet and the statement of income and expenditure of such Institute:
Provided that the Board shall change the auditors after every four years.
(2) The Board of every Institute shall constitute an Audit Committee to provide an expert advice on effectiveness of internal control system, risk management and audit report to the Board.
(3) The auditor appointed under sub-section (1) or any person employed by him shall not have any direct or indirect interest, whether pecuniary or otherwise, in any matter concerning or related to the administration or functions of the Institute.
Title: Annual report of Director
(1) There shall be attached to every statement of accounts laid before the Board of each Institute under section 27, a report, by its Director, with respect to—
(a) the state of affairs of such Institute;
(b) the amounts, if any, which it proposes to carry to any surplus reserves in its balance sheet;
(c) the extent to which understatement or overstatement of any surplus of income over expenditure or any shortfall of expenditure over income has been indicated in the auditor's report and the reasons for such understatement or overstatement;
(d) the productivity of research projects undertaken by the Institute measured in accordance with such norms as may be specified by the Board;
(e) appointments of the officers and faculty members of the Institute;
(f) performance indicators and internal standards set by the Institute, including the nature of innovations in teaching, research and application of knowledge.
(2) The report of the Director shall also include a statement showing the names of the five officers including faculty members and other employees of the Institute who received the highest remuneration (including allowances and other payments made to such employees) during the financial year and the contributions made by such employee during the financial year.
(3) The statement referred to in sub-section (2) shall indicate whether any such employee is a relative of any member of the Board or Academic Council of the Institute and if so, the name of such member; and such other particulars as may be determined by the Board.
(4) The Director shall also be bound to give the complete information and explanations in the report referred to in sub-section (1) on every reservation, qualification or adverse remark contained in the auditors' report.
Title: Board to consider statement of accounts
(1) The statement of accounts, including the balance sheet and the statement of income and expenditure, the auditor's report, the report of the Director and other documents required to be annexed or attached with such statement, shall be brought before the Board of concerned Institute in its meeting not later than three months, from the conclusion of the financial year.
(2) A copy of every statement of accounts referred to in sub-section (1) shall be sent to every member of the Board not less than twenty-one days before the date of the meeting.
(3) The statement of accounts referred to in sub-section (1) shall on its approval by the Board, be published on the website of the Institute.