Section 23 in The Human Immunodeficiency Virus and Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (Prevention and Control) Act 2017
Title: Appointment of Ombudsman
(1) Every State Government shall appoint one or more Ombudsman,—
(a) possessing such qualification and experience as may be prescribed, or
(b) designate any of its officers not below such rank, as may be prescribed, by that Government,
to exercise such powers and discharge such functions, as may be conferred on Ombudsman under this Act.
(2) The terms and condition of the service of an Ombudsman appointed under clause (a) of sub-section (1) shall be such as may be prescribed by the State Government.
(3) The Ombudsman appointed under sub-section (1) shall have such jurisdiction in respect of such area or areas as the State Government may, by notification, specify.
Title: Powers of Ombudsman
(1) The Ombudsman shall, upon a complaint made by any person, inquire into the violations of the provisions of this Act, in relation to acts of discrimination mentioned in section 3 and providing of healthcare services by any person, in such manner as may be prescribed by the State Government.
(2) The Ombudsman may require any person to furnish information on such points or matters, as he considers necessary, for inquiring into the matter and any person so required shall be deemed to be legally bound to furnish such information and failure to do so shall be punishable under sections 176 and 177 of the Indian Penal Code (45 of 1860).
(3) The Ombudsman shall maintain records in such manner as may be prescribed by the State Government.
Title: Procedure of complaint
The complaints may be made to the Ombudsman under sub-section (1) of section 24 in such manner, as may be prescribed, by the State Government.
Title: Orders of Ombudsman
The Ombudsman shall, within a period of thirty days of the receipt of the complaint under sub-section (1) of section 24, and after giving an opportunity of being heard to the parties, pass such order, as he deems fit, giving reasons therefor:
Provided that in cases of medical emergency of HIV positive persons, the Ombudsman shall pass such order as soon as possible, preferably within twenty-four hours of the receipt of the complaint.
Title: Authorities to assist Ombudsman
All authorities including the civil authorities functioning in the area for which the Ombudsman has been appointed under section 23 shall assist in execution of orders passed by the Ombudsman.