Section 7 in The Footwear Design and Development Institute Act, 2017
Title: Functions of Institute
The functions of the Institute shall be—
(i) to nurture and promote quality and excellence in education and research in the areas of footwear and leather products design and development and allied fields thereof;
(ii) develop and conduct courses leading to graduate and post-graduate degrees, doctoral and post-doctoral courses and research in the areas of footwear and leather products design and development and allied fields thereof;
(iii) to hold examinations and grant degrees, diplomas, certificates, or any other qualification;
(iv) to institute fellowships, scholarships and confer awards, honorary degrees or other academic distinctions or titles;
(v) to co-operate, associate and collaborate with educational or other institutions, research organisations or bodies corporate in any part of the world having objects wholly or partly similar to those of the Institute by exchange of faculty members, students, staff and scholars and generally in such manner as may be conducive to their common objective;
(vi) to conduct courses for teachers, technologists and other professionals in the areas of footwear and leather products design and development and allied fields thereof;
(vii) to undertake research, survey, and studies and application thereof, for improved quality and design, testing, and international marketing;
(viii) to provide consultancy, testing, inspection, certification, project implementation and design support to the institutions and industries in any part of the world;
(ix) to develop an international centre for creation and transmission of information, with focus on educational, professional and industrial commitments;
(x) to conduct skill development programs and to provide technical assistance to artisans, craftsmen, manufacturers, designers and exporters;
(xi) to design, develop, amend, update curriculums of the academic programs and training materials as per the sectors requirement and change of technology;
(xii) to acquire any patent or license relating to such invention, improvement or design or standardisation marks whether for general or specific purposes;
(xiii) to establish, form and maintain museums, libraries and collections of literature and films, slides, photographs, prototypes and other information;
(xiv) to function as a National resource centre for curriculum development, training the trainers and support skill development in the leather sector overall;
(xv) to frame the Statutes and the Ordinances and to alter, modify or rescind the same; and
(xvi) to do all such things as may be necessary, incidental or conducive to the attainment of all or any of the objects of the Institute.
Title: Power of Governing Council
(1) Subject to the provisions of this Act, the Governing Council, under overall control of the Central Government, shall be responsible for the general superintendence, direction and control of the affairs of the Institute and shall exercise all the powers not otherwise provided for by this Act, the Statutes and the Ordinances, and shall have the power to review the acts of the Senate.
(2) Without prejudice to the provisions of sub-section (1), the Governing Council shall—
(a) take decisions on questions of policy relating to the administration and working of the Institute;
(b) institute academic and other posts and to make appointments thereto (except in the case of the Managing Director, Secretary and Executive Director);
(c) frame the Statutes and the Ordinances and to alter, modify or rescind the same;
(d) consider and pass resolutions on the annual report, the annual audited accounts and the budget estimates of the Institute for the next financial year as it thinks fit together with a statement of its development plans;
(e) receive gifts, grants, donations or benefactions from the Government and to receive bequests, donations and transfers of movable or immovable properties from the testators, donors or transferors, as the case may be; and
(f) do all such things as may be necessary, incidental or conducive to the attainment of all or any of the aforesaid powers.
(3) The Governing Council shall have the power to appoint such committees, as it considers necessary for the exercise of its powers and the performance of its duties under this Act.
(4) Notwithstanding anything contained in sub-section (2) of section 4, the Governing Council shall not dispose of in any manner any immovable property without the prior approval of the Central Government.
(5) The Central Government may appoint one or more persons to review the work and progress of the Institute and to hold inquiries into the affairs thereof and to report thereon in such manner as the Central Government may direct.
(6) Upon receipt of any such report, the Central Government may take such action and issue such directions as it considers necessary in respect of any of the matters dealt within the report and the Institute shall be bound to comply with such directions.
(7) The Central Government shall have the power to remove Chairperson or other Members or reconstitute the Governing Council, if it considers it appropriate to do so.
(8) No Chairperson or Member shall be removed under sub-section (7) unless he has been given a reasonable opportunity of being heard in the matter.
Title: Institute be open to all races, creeds and classes
(1) The Institute shall be open to persons of all sex and of whatever race, creed, caste or class, and no test or condition shall be imposed as to religious belief or profession in admitting or appointing members, students, teachers or workers or in any other connection whatsoever.
(2) No bequest, donation or transfer of any property shall be accepted by the Institute, which in the opinion of the Governing Council involves conditions or obligations opposed to the spirit and object of this section.
Title: Teaching at Institute
All teaching at the campuses of the Institute shall be conducted by or in the name of the Institute in accordance with the Statutes and the Ordinances made in this behalf.
The President of India shall be the Visitor of the Institute.