Section 17 in The Admiralty (Jurisdiction and Settlement of Maritime Claims) Act 2017
Title: Repeal and savings
(1) The application in India of the following enactments are hereby repealed—
(a) the Admiralty Court Act, 1840 (3 and 4 Vict., c. 65);
(b) the Admiralty Court Act, 1861 (24 and 25 Vict., c. 10);
(c) the Colonial Courts of Admiralty Act, 1890 (53 and 54 vict., c. 27);
(d) the Colonial Courts of Admiralty (India) Act, 1891 (16 of 1891); and
(e) the provisions of the Letters Patent, 1865 in so far as they apply to the admiralty jurisdiction of the Bombay, Calcutta and Madras High Courts.
(2) Notwithstanding the repeal, all admiralty proceedings pending in any High Court immediately before the commencement of this Act shall continue to be adjudicated by such court in accordance with the provisions of this Act.
(3) Anything done or any action taken, under the provisions of the repealed enactments, shall in so far as such thing or action is not inconsistent with the provisions of this Act, be deemed to have been done or taken under the corresponding provisions of the Act as if the said provisions were in force when such thing was done or such action was taken and shall continue to be in force accordingly until superseded by anything done or any action taken under this Act or rules made thereunder.
(4) Any rule, regulation, bye-law made or order or notice issued under the repealed enactments, shall so far as it is not inconsistent with the provisions of this Act or rules made thereunder be deemed to have been done or taken under the corresponding provisions of this Act.
Title: Power to remove difficulties
(1) If any difficulty arises in giving effect to the provisions of this Act, the Central Government may, by order published in the Official Gazette, make such provisions, not inconsistent with the provisions of this Act as may appear to it to be necessary for removing the difficulty:
Provided that no such order shall be made after the expiry of a period of three years from the date of commencement of this Act.
(2) Every order made under this section shall be laid, as soon as may be after it is made, before each House of Parliament
Title: Short title and commencement
(1) This Act may be called the Footwear Design and Development Institute Act, 2017.
(2) It shall come into force on such date 1 as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint; and different dates may be appointed for different provisions of this Act and any reference to the commencement in any such provision of this Act shall be construed as a reference to the commencement of that provision.
1 16th October, 2017 vide notification No. S.O. 3248(E) dated the 5th October, 2017, see Gazette of India, Extraordinary, Part II, sec. 3(ii).
Title: Declaration of Footwear Design and Development Institute as an institution of national importance
Whereas the objects of the institution known as the Footwear Design and Development Institute, are such as to make it the institution of national importance, it is hereby declared that the Footwear Design and Development Institute is an institution of national importance.
In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires,—
(a)“Chairperson” means the Chairperson of the Institute nominated under clause (a) of sub-section (3) of section 4;
(b) “design” means a rational, logical and sequential innovation process for the purposes of transferring culture to viable products and services in footwear and leather products, including fashion and retail thereof and for providing a competitive edge to products and services;
(c) “development” means the systematic use of scientific and technical knowledge to meet specific objective or requirements and includes an extension of the theoretical or practical aspects of concepts, design, discovery and invention including business thereof;
(d)“Executive Director” means the Executive Director of the Institute campus appointed under section 18;
(e) “Fund” means the Fund of the institute to be maintained under section 21;
(f) “Governing Council” means the Governing Council of the Institute constituted under sub-section (3) of section 4;
(g) “Institute” means the Footwear Design and Development Institute established under sub-section (1) of section 4;
(h) “Institute campus” means an Institute campus specified in the Schedule;
(i) “leather products” includes a product made of leather or any other material or combination thereof;
(j) “Managing Director” means the Managing Director of the Institute appointed under section 16;
(k) “Member” means a Member of the Governing Council and includes the Chairperson;
(l) “notification” means a notification published in the Official Gazette;
(m) “prescribed” means prescribed by rules made under this Act;
(n) “Schedule” means the Schedule appended to this Act;
(o) “Secretary” means the Secretary of the Institute appointed under section 17;
(p) “Senate” means the Senate of the Institute referred to in section 13;
(q) “Society” means the Footwear Design and Development Institute registered under the Societies Registration Act, 1860 (21 of 1860);
(r) “Statutes” and “Ordinances” mean respectively the Statutes and the Ordinances of the Institute made under this Act.