Section 1 in The National Commission for Backward Classes (Repeal) Act 2018
Title: Short title and commencement
(1) This Act may be called the National Commission for Backward Classes (Repeal) Act, 2018.
(2) It shall come into force on such date1 as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint.
1. 15th August, 2018, vide notification No. S.O. 3988(E), dated 14th August, 2018, see Gazette of India, Extraordinary, Part II, sec. 3(ii).
Title: Repeal and savings
(1) The National Commission for Backward Classes Act, 1993 (27 of 1993) is hereby repealed and the National Commission for Backward Classes constituted under subsection (1) of section 3 of the said Act shall stand dissolved.
(2) The repeal of the National Commission for Backward Classes Act, 1993 (27 of 1993) shall, however, not affect,—
(i) the previous operation of the Act so repealed or anything duly done or suffered thereunder; or
(ii) any right, privilege, obligation or liability acquired, accrued or incurred under the Act so repealed; or
(iii) any penalty, confiscation or punishment incurred in respect of any contravention under the Act so repealed; or
(iv) any proceeding or remedy in respect of any such right, privilege, obligation, liability, penalty, confiscation or punishment as aforesaid, and any such proceeding or remedy may be instituted, continued or enforced, and any such penalty, confiscation or punishment may be imposed or made as if that Act had not been repealed.
(3) The mention of the particular matters referred to in sub-section (2) shall not be held to prejudice or affect the general application of section 6 of the General Clauses Act, 1897 (10 of 1897) with regard to the effect of repeal.
Title: Short title extent and commencement
(1) This Act may be called the National Sports University Act, 2018.
(2) It extends to the whole of India.
(3) It shall be deemed to have come into force on the 31st day of May, 2018.
In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires,—
(a) "Academic and Activity Council" means the Academic and Activity Council of the University;
(b) "academic staff" means such categories of staff as are designated as academic staff by the Ordinances;
(c) "Board of Sports Studies" means the Board of Sports Studies of a Department of the University;
(d) "Chancellor" means the Chancellor of the University;
(e) "College" means a college or other academic institution established or maintained by, or admitted to the privileges of, the University;
(f) "Court" means the Court of the University;
(g) "Department" means a Department of Studies and includes a Centre of Studies;
(h) "employee" means any person appointed by the University and includes teachers and other staff of the University;
(i) "Executive Council" means the Executive Council of the University;
(j) "Finance Committee" means the Finance Committee of the University;
(k) "Fund" means the University Fund referred to in section 30;
(l) "Hall" means a unit of residence or of corporate life for the students of the University, or of an Outlying Campus or of a College or an Institution, maintained by the University;
(m) "Head of the Department" means the head of any teaching department of the University;
(n) "Institution" means an academic institution, not being a College, maintained by, or admitted to the privileges of, the University;
(o) "Outlying Campus" means the campus of the University as may be established by it at any place within or outside India;
(p) "Principal" means the Head of a College or an Institution maintained by the University and includes, where there is no Principal, the person for the time being duly appointed to act as Principal, and in the absence of the Principal, or the acting Principal, a Vice-Principal duly appointed as such;
(q) "Regional Centre" means a centre established or maintained by the University for the purpose of coordinating and supervising the work of Study Centres in any region and for performing such other functions as may be conferred on such centre by the Executive Council;
(r) "Regulations" means the regulations made by any authority of the University under this Act for the time being in force;
(s) "School" means a School of Studies of the University;
(t) "section" means the section of this Act;
(u) "State" includes a Union territory;
(v) "Statutes" and "Ordinances" mean, respectively, the Statutes and the Ordinances of the University for the time being in force;
(w) "Study Centre" means a centre established, maintained or recognised by the University for the purpose of advising, counselling, training or for rendering any other assistance required by the students;
(x) "teachers of the University" means Professors, Associate Professors, Assistant Professors and such other persons as may be appointed for imparting instructions, training or conducting research in the University or in any Outlying Campus, College or Institution or Regional Centres and Study Centres maintained by the University and are designated as teachers by the Ordinances;
(y) "University" means the National Sports University established and incorporated as a University under this Act;
(z) "Vice-Chancellor" means the Vice-Chancellor of the University.
Title: Establishment of University
(1) There shall be established a University by the name of "National Sports University".
(2) The headquarters of the University shall be in the State of Manipur and it may establish or maintain Outlying Campuses, Colleges, Regional Centres and Study Centres at such other places in India as it may deem fit:
Provided that the University may, with the prior approval of the Central Government, also establish Outlying Campuses and Study Centres outside India.
(3) The first Chancellor, the first Vice-Chancellor and the first members of the Court, the Executive Council and the Academic and Activity Council, and all such persons who may hereafter become such officers or members, so long as they continue to hold such office or membership, are hereby constituted a body corporate by the name of "National Sports University".
(4) The University shall have perpetual succession and a common seal, and shall sue and be sued by the said name.