Section 7A in Advocate Act 1961
Title: Membership in international bodies
1[7A. Membership in international bodies.-- The Bar Council of India may become a member of international legal bodies such as the International Bar Association or the International Legal Aid Association, contribute such sums as it thinks fit to such bodies by way of subscription or otherwise and authorise expenditure on the participation of its representatives in any international legal conference or seminar.]
1. Ins. by Act 60 of 1973, s. 8 (w.e.f. 31-1-1974).
Title: Term of office of members of State Bar Council
1[8. Term of office of members of State Bar Council.-- The term of office of an elected member of a State Bar Council (other than an elected member thereof referred to in section 54) shall be five years from the date of publication of the result of his election:
Provided that where a State Bar Council fails to provide for the election of its members before the expiry of the said term, the Bar Council of India may, by order, for reasons to be recorded in writing, extend the said term for a period not exceeding six months.]
1. Subs. by Act 70 of 1993, s. 4, for section 8 (w.e.f. 26-12-1993).
Title: Constitution of special Committee in the absence of election
1[8A. Constitution of Special Committee in the absence of election.-- (1) Where a State Bar Council fails to provide for the election of its members before the expiry of the term of five years or the extended term, as the case may be, referred to in section 8, the Bar Council of India shall, on and from the date immediately following the day of such expiry, constitute a Special Committee consisting of--
(i) the ex officio member of the State Bar Council referred to in clause (a) of sub-section (2) of section 3 to be the Chairman:
Provided that where there are more than one ex officio members, the senior most amongst them shall be the Chairman; and
(ii) two members to be nominated by the Bar Council of India from amongst advocates on the electoral roll of the State Bar Council,
to discharge the functions of the State Bar Council until the Bar Council is constituted under this Act.
(2) On the constitution of the Special Committee and until the State Bar Council is constituted--
(a) all properties and assets vesting in the State Bar Council shall vest in the Special Committee;
(b) all rights, liabilities and obligations of the State Bar Council, whether arising out of any contract or otherwise, shall be the rights, liabilities and obligations of the Special Committee;
(c) all proceedings pending before the State Bar Council in respect of any disciplinary matter or otherwise shall stand transferred to the Special Committee.
(3) The Special Committee constituted under sub-section (1) shall, in accordance with such directions as the Bar Council of India may give to it in this behalf, hold elections to the State Bar Council within a period of six months from the date of its constitution under sub-section (1), and where, for any reason the Special Committee is not in a position to conduct election within the said period of six months, the Bar Council of India may, for reasons to be recorded by it in writing, extend the said period.]
1. Subs. by Act 70 of 1993, s. 4, for section 8 (w.e.f. 26-12-1993)
Title: Disciplinary committees
1[9. Disciplinary committees.-- (1) A Bar Council shall constitute one or more disciplinary committees, each of which shall consist of three persons of whom two shall be persons elected by the Council from amongst its members and the other shall be a person co-opted by the Council from amongst advocates who possess the qualifications specified in the proviso to sub-section (2) of section 3 and who are not members of the Council, and the senior-most advocate amongst the members of a disciplinary committee shall be the Chairman thereof.
(2) Notwithstanding anything contained in sub-section (1), any disciplinary committee constituted prior to the commencement of the Advocates (Amendment) Act, 1964 (21 of 1964) may dispose of the proceedings pending before it as if this section had not been amended by the said Act.]
1. Subs. by Act 21 of 1964, s. 5, for section 9 (w.e.f. 16-5-1964).
Title: Constitution of legal aid committees
1[9A. Constitution of legal aid committees-- (1) A Bar Council may constitute one or more legal aid committees each of which shall consist of such number of members, not exceeding nine but not less than five, as may be prescribed.
(2) The qualifications, the method of selection and the term of office of the members of a legal aid committee shall be such as may be prescribed.]
1. Ins. by Act 60 of 1973, s. 9 (w.e.f. 31-1-1974).