Section 8 in The Aadhaar (Targeted Delivery of Financial and Other Subsidies Benefits and Services) Act 2016
Title: Authentication of Aadhaar number
(1) The Authority shall perform authentication of the Aadhaar number of an Aadhaar number holder submitted by any requesting entity, in relation to his biometric information or demographic information, subject to such conditions and on payment of such fees and in such manner as may be specified by regulations.
(2) A requesting entity shall--
(a) unless otherwise provided in this Act, obtain the consent of an individual 1[or in the case of a child obtain the consent of his parent or guardian] before collecting his identity information for the purposes of authentication in such manner as may be specified by regulations; and
(b) ensure that the identity information of an individual is only used for submission to the Central Identities Data Repository for authentication.
1[Provided that the requesting entity shall, in case of failure to authenticate due to illness, injury or infirmity owing to old age or otherwise or any technical or other reasons, provide such alternate and viable means of identification of the individual, as may be specified by regulations.]
(3) A requesting entity shall inform, in such manner as may be specified by regulations, the individual submitting his identity information for authentication 1[or in the case of a child, his parent or guardian], the following details with respect to authentication, namely: --
(a) the nature of information that may be shared upon authentication;
(b) the uses to which the information received during authentication may be put by the requesting entity; and
(c) alternatives to submission of identity information to the requesting entity.
(4) The Authority shall respond to an authentication query with a positive, negative or any other appropriate response sharing such identity information excluding any core biometric information.
1. Ins. by s. 8, ibid. (w.e.f. 25-7-2019).
Title: Offline verification of Aadhaar number
1[8A. Offline verification of Aadhaar number.-- (1) Every offline verification of an Aadhaar number holder shall be performed in accordance with the provisions of this section.
(2) Every offline verification-seeking entity shall, --
(a) before performing offline verification, obtain the consent of an individual, or in the case of a child, his parent or guardian, in such manner as may be specified by regulations; and
(b) ensure that the demographic information or any other information collected from the individual for offline verification is only used for the purpose of such verification.
(3) An offline verification-seeking entity shall inform the individual undergoing offline verification, or in the case of a child, his parent or guardian, the following details with respect to offline verification, in such manner as may be specified by regulations, namely: --
(a) the nature of information that may be shared upon offline verification;
(b) the uses to which the information received during offline verification may be put by the offline verification-seeking entity; and
(c) alternatives to submission of information requested for, if any.
(4) No offline verification-seeking entity shall--
(a) subject an Aadhaar number holder to authentication;
(b) collect, use, or store an Aadhaar number or biometric information of any individual for any purpose;
(c) take any action contrary to any obligation on it as may be specified by regulations.]
1. Ins. by S. 9, ibid. (w.e.f. 25-7-2019).
Title: Aadhaar number not evidence of citizenship or domicile etc
The Aadhaar number or the authentication thereof shall not, by itself, confer any right of, or be proof of, citizenship or domicile in respect of an Aadhaar number holder.
Title: Central Identities Data Repository
The Authority may engage one or more entities to establish and maintain the Central Identities Data Repository and to perform any other functions as may be specified by regulations.
Title: Establishment of Authority
(1) The Central Government shall, by notification, establish an Authority to be known as the Unique Identification Authority of India to be responsible for the processes of enrolment and authentication and perform such other functions assigned to it under this Act.
(2) The Authority shall be a body corporate by the name aforesaid, having perpetual succession and a common seal, with power, subject to the provisions of this Act, to acquire, hold and dispose of property, both movable and immovable, and to contract, and shall, by the said name, sue or be sued.
(3) The head office of the Authority shall be in New Delhi.
(4) The Authority may, with the prior approval of the Central Government, establish its offices at other places in India.