Section 3A in The Aadhaar (Targeted Delivery of Financial and Other Subsidies Benefits and Services) Act 2016
Title: Aadhaar number of children
1[3A. Aadhaar number of children.-- (1) The enrolling agency shall, at the time of enrolment of a child, seek the consent of the parent or guardian of the child, and inform the parent or guardian, the details specified under sub-section (2) of section 3.
(2) A child who is an Aadhaar number holder may, within a period of six months of attaining the eighteen years of age, make an application to the Authority for cancellation of his Aadhaar number, in such manner as may be specified by regulations and the Authority shall cancel his Aadhaar number.
(3) Notwithstanding anything in section 7, a child shall not be denied any subsidy, benefit or service under that section in case of failure to establish his identity by undergoing authentication, or furnishing proof of possession of Aadhaar number, or in the case of a child to whom no Aadhaar number has been assigned, producing an application for enrolment.]
1. Ins. by s. 5 ibid. (w.e.f. 25-7-2019)
Title: Properties of Aadhaar number
(1) An Aadhaar number, issued to an individual shall not be reassigned to any other individual.(2) An Aadhaar number shall be a random number and bear no relation to the attributes or identity of the Aadhaar number holder.
1[(3) Every Aadhaar number holder to establish his identity, may voluntarily use his Aadhaar number in physical or electronic form by way of authentication or offline verification, or in such other form as may be notified, in such manner as may be specified by regulations.
Explanation.-- For the purposes of this section, voluntary use of the Aadhaar number by way of authentication means the use of such Aadhaar number only with the informed consent of the Aadhaar number holder.
(4) An entity may be allowed to perform authentication, if the Authority is satisfied that the requesting entity is--
(a) compliant with such standards of privacy and security as may be specified by regulations; and
(b) (i) permitted to offer authentication services under the provisions of any other law made by Parliament; or
(ii) seeking authentication for such purpose, as the Central Government in consultation with the Authority, and in the interest of State, may prescribe.
(5) The Authority may, by regulations, decide whether a requesting entity shall be permitted the use of the actual Aadhaar number during authentication or only an alternative virtual identity.
(6) Every requesting entity to whom an authentication request is made by an Aadhaar number holder under sub-section (3) shall inform to the Aadhaar number holder of alternate and viable means of identification and shall not deny any service to him for refusing to, or being unable to, undergo authentication.
(7) Notwithstanding anything contained in the foregoing provisions, mandatory authentication of an Aadhaar number holder for the provision of any service shall take place if such authentication is required by a law made by Parliament.]
1. Subs. by Act 14 of 2019, s. 6, for Sub-section (3) (w.e.f. 25-7-2019).
Title: Special measures for issuance of Aadhaar number to certain category of persons
The Authority shall take special measures to issue Aadhaar number to women, children, senior citizens, persons with disability, unskilled and unorganised workers, nomadic tribes or to such other persons who do not have any permanent dwelling house and such other categories of individuals as may be specified by regulations.
Title: Update of certain information
The Authority may require Aadhaar number holders to update their demographic information and biometric information, from time to time, in such manner as may be specified by regulations, so as to ensure continued accuracy of their information in the Central Identities Data Repository.
Title: Proof of Aadhaar number necessary for receipt of certain subsidies benefits and services etc
The Central Government or, as the case may be, the State Government may, for the purpose of establishing identity of an individual as a condition for receipt of a subsidy, benefit or service for which the expenditure is incurred from, or the receipt therefrom forms part of, the Consolidated Fund of India, 1[or the Consolidated Fund of State] require that such individual undergo authentication, or furnish proof of possession of Aadhaar number or in the case of an individual to whom no Aadhaar number has been assigned, such individual makes an application for enrolment:
Provided that if an Aadhaar number is not assigned to an individual, the individual shall be offered alternate and viable means of identification for delivery of the subsidy, benefit or service.
1. Ins. by Act 14 of 2019, s. 7 (w.e.f. 25-7-2019)