Section 35 in Indian Evidence Act 1872
Title: Relevancy of entry in public record made in performance of duty
An entry in any public or other official book, register or 1[record or an electronic record], stating a fact in issue or relevant fact, and made by a public servant in the discharge of his official duty, or by any other person in performances of a duty specially enjoined by the law of the country in which such book, register or 1[record or an electronic record], is kept, is itself a relevant fact.
1. Subs. by s. 92 and the Second Schedule, ibid., for "record" (w.e.f. 17-10-2000)
Title: Relevancy of statements in maps charts and plans
Statements of facts in issue or relevant facts, made in published maps or charts generally offered for public sale, or in maps or plans made under the authority of 1[the Central Government or any State Government], as to matters usually represented or stated in such maps, charts or plans, are themselves relevant facts.]
1. Subs. by the A.O. 1948, for "any Government in British India".
Title: Relevancy of statement as to fact of public nature contained in certain Acts or notifications
when the Court has to form an opinion as to the existence of any fact of a public nature, any statement of it, made in a recital contained in any Act of Parliament 1 [of the United Kingdom] or in any 2[Central Act, Provincial Act] or 3[a State Act] or in a Government notification or notification by the Crown Representative appearing in the Official Gazette or in any printed paper purporting to be the London Gazette or the Government Gazette of any Dominion, colony or possession of his Majesty is a [relevant fact].
4* * * * *
1. Ins. by the A. O. 1950.
2. The original words were "Act of the Governor General of India in Council or of the Governors in Council of Madras or Bombay, or of the Lieutenant Governor in Council of Bengal, or in a notification of the Government. Appearing in the Gazette of India, or in the Gazette of any L.G., or in any printed paper purporting to be the London Gazette or the Government. Gazette of any colony or possession of the Queen, is a relevant fact". This was amended first by the Repealing and Amending Act, 1914 (10 of 1914), and then by the A.O. 1937, the A.O. 1948 and the A.O. 1950, to read as above.
3. Subs. by Act 3 of 1951, s. 3 and the Schedule, for "an Act of the Legislature of a Part A State" or a Part C State.
4. The "Last paragraph" omitted by Act 10 of 1914, s. 3 and the Second Schedule
Title: Relevancy of statements as to any law contained in law books
When the Court has to form an opinion as to a law of any country, any statement of such law contained in a book purporting to be printed or published under the authority of the Government of such country and to contain any such law, and any report of a ruling of the Courts of such country contained in a book purporting to be a report of such rulings, is relevant.
Title: What evidence to be given when statement forms part of a conversation document electronic record book or series of letters or papers
1[39. What evidence to be given when statement forms part of a conversation, document, electronic record, book or series of letters or papers.-- When any statement of which evidence is given forms part of a longer statement, or of a conversation or part of an isolated document, or is contained in a document which forms part of a book, or is contained in part of electronic record or of a connected series of letters or papers, evidence shall be given of so much and no more of the statement, conversation, document, electronic record, book or series of letters or papers as the Court considers necessary in that particular case to the full understanding of the nature and effect of the statement, and of the circumstances under which it was made.]
1. Subs. by Act 21 of 2000, s. 92 and the Second Schedule, for "s. 39" (w.e.f. 17-10-2000).