Section 17 in Indian Divorce Act 1869

Title: Power of High Court to remove certain suits

Description: 1[17. Power of High Court to remove certain suits.—During the progress of the suit in the Court of the District Judge, any person suspecting that any parties to the suit are or have been acting in collusion for the purpose of obtaining a divorce, shall be at liberty, in such manner as the High Court by general or special order from time to time directs, to apply to the High Court to remove the suit under section 8, and the Court shall thereupon, if it thinks fit, remove such suit and try and determine the same as a Court of original jurisdiction, and the provisions contained in section 16 shall apply to every suit so removed; or it may direct the District Judge to take such steps in respect of the alleged collusion as may be necessary, to enable him to make a decree in accordance with the justice of the case]. 1. Subs. by s. 12, ibid., for section 17 (w.e.f 3-10-2001).

Title: [Omitted]

Description: [Appointment of officer to exercise duties of King's Proctor.]Omitted by the Indian Divorce (Amendment) Act, 2001 (51 of 2001), s. 13 (w.e.f. 3-10-2001).

Title: Petition for decree of nullity

Description: Any husband or wife may present a petition to the District Court 1 ***, praying that his or her marriage may be declared null and void. 1. The words "or to the High Court" omitted by Act 51 of 2001, s. 14 (w.e.f. 3-10-2001).

Title: Grounds of decree

Description: Such decree may be made on any of the following grounds:--- (1) that the respondent was impotent at the time of the marriage and at the time of the institution of the suit; (2) that the parties are within the prohibited degree of consanguinity (whether natural or legal) or affinity; (3) that either party was a lunatic or idiot at the time of the marriage; (4) that the former husband or wife of either party was living at the time of the marriage, and the marriage with such former husband or wife was then in force. Nothing in this section shall affect the 1[jurisdiction of the District Court] to make decrees of nullity of marriage on the ground that the consent of either party was obtained by force or fraud. 1. Subs. by s. 15, ibid., for "jurisdiction of the High Court" (w.e.f. 3-10-2001).

Title:  [Omitted]

Description: [Confirmation of District Judge's decree.]—Omitted by the Indian Divorce (Amendment) Act, 2001 (51 of 2001), s. 16 (w.e.f. 3-10-2001).