Section 149 in The Central Goods and Services Tax Act
Title: Goods and services tax compliance rating
(1) Every registered person may be assigned a goods and services tax compliance rating score by the Government based on his record of compliance with the provisions of this Act.
(2) The goods and services tax compliance rating score may be determined on the basis of such parameters as may be prescribed.
(3) The goods and services tax compliance rating score may be updated at periodic intervals and intimated to the registered person and also placed in the public domain in such manner as may be prescribed.
Title: Obligation to furnish information return
(1) Any person, being—
a taxable person; or
a local authority or other public body or association; or
any authority of the State Government responsible for the collection of value added tax or sales tax or State excise duty or an authority of the Central Government responsible for the collection of excise duty or customs duty; or
an income tax authority appointed under the provisions of the Income-tax Act, 1961; or
a banking company within the meaning of clause (a) of section 45A of the Reserve Bank of India Act, 1934; or
a State Electricity Board or an electricity distribution or transmission licensee under the Electricity Act, 2003, or any other entity entrusted with such functions by the Central Government or the State Government; or
the Registrar or Sub-Registrar appointed under section 6 of the Registration Act, 1908; or
a Registrar within the meaning of the Companies Act, 2013; or
the registering authority empowered to register motor vehicles under the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988; or
the Collector referred to in clause (c) of section 3 of the Right to Fair Compensation and Transparency in Land Acquisition, Rehabilitation and Resettlement Act, 2013; or
the recognised stock exchange referred to in clause (f) of section 2 of the Securities Contracts (Regulation) Act, 1956; or
a depository referred to in clause (e) of sub-section (1) of section 2 of the Depositories Act, 1996; or
an officer of the Reserve Bank of India as constituted under section 3 of the Reserve Bank of India Act, 1934; or
the Goods and Services Tax Network, a company registered under the Companies Act, 2013; or
a person to whom a Unique Identity Number has been granted under sub-section (9) of section 25; or
any other person as may be specified, on the recommendations of the Council, by the Government,
who is responsible for maintaining record of registration or statement of accounts or any periodic return or document containing details of payment of tax and other details of transaction of goods or services or both or transactions related to a bank account or consumption of electricity or transaction of purchase, sale or exchange of goods or property or right or interest in a property under any law for the time being in force, shall furnish an information return of the same in respect of such periods, within such time, in such form and manner and to such authority or agency as may be prescribed.
(2) Where the Commissioner, or an officer authorised by him in this behalf, considers that the information furnished in the information return is defective, he may intimate the defect to the person who has furnished such information return and give him an opportunity of rectifying the defect within a period of thirty days from the date of such intimation or within such further period which, on an application made in this behalf, the said authority may allow and if the defect is not rectified within the said period of thirty days or, the further period so allowed, then, notwithstanding anything contained in any other provisions of this Act, such information return shall be treated as not furnished and the provisions of this Act shall apply.
(3) Where a person who is required to furnish information return has not furnished the same within the time specified in sub-section (1) or sub-section (2), the said authority may serve upon him a notice requiring furnishing of such information return within a period not exceeding ninety days from the date of service of the notice and such person shall furnish the information return.
Title: Power to collect statistics
(1) The Commissioner may, if he considers that it is necessary so to do, by notification, direct that statistics may be collected relating to any matter dealt with by or in connection with this Act.
(2) Upon such notification being issued, the Commissioner, or any person authorised by him in this behalf, may call upon the concerned persons to furnish such information or returns, in such form and manner as may be prescribed, relating to any matter in respect of which statistics is to be collected .
Title: Bar on disclosure of information
(1) No information of any individual return or part thereof with respect to any matter given for the purposes of section 150 or section 151 shall, without the previous consent in writing of the concerned person or his authorised representative, be published in such manner so as to enable such particulars to be identified as referring to a particular person and no such information shall be used for the purpose of any proceedings under this Act.
(2) Except for the purposes of prosecution under this Act or any other Act for the time being in force, no person who is not engaged in the collection of statistics under this Act or compilation or computerisation thereof for the purposes of this Act, shall be permitted to see or have access to any information or any individual return referred to in section 151.
(3) Nothing in this section shall apply to the publication of any information relating to a class of taxable persons or class of transactions, if in the opinion of the Commissioner, it is desirable in the public interest to publish such information.
Title: Taking assistance from an expert
Any officer not below the rank of Assistant Commissioner may, having regard to the nature and complexity of the case and the interest of revenue, take assistance of any expert at any stage of scrutiny, inquiry, investigation or any other proceedings before him.