Section 22 in The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India Act, 1997
(1) There shall be constituted a Fund to be called the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India General Fund and there shall be credited thereto—
(a) all grants, fees and charges received by the Authority under this Act; and
(b) all sums received by the Authority from such other sources as may be decided upon by the Central Government.
(2) The Fund shall be applied for meeting—
(a) the salaries and allowances payable to the Chairperson and members and the administrative expenses including the salaries, allowances and pension payable to or in respect of officers and other employees of the Authority; and
(b) the expenses on objects and for purposes authorised by this Act.
Title: Accounts and audit
(1) The Authority shall maintain proper accounts and other relevant records and prepare an annual statement of accounts in such form as may be prescribed by the Central Government in consultation with the Comptroller and Auditor-General of India.
(2) The accounts of the Authority shall be audited by the Comptroller and Auditor-General of India at such intervals as may be specified by him and any expenditure incurred in connection with such auditor shall be payable by the Authority to the Comptroller and Auditor-General of India.
1[Explanation.-- For the removal of doubts, it is hereby declared that the decisions of the Authority taken in the discharge of its functions under clause (b) of sub-section (1) and sub-section (2) of section 11 and section 13, being matters appealable to the Appellate Tribunal, shall not be subject to audit under this section.]
(3) The Comptroller and Auditor-General of India and any other person appointed by him in connection with the audit of the accounts of the Authority shall have the same rights and privileges and authority in connection with such audit as the Comptroller and Auditor-General generally has, in connection with the audit of the Government accounts and, in particular, shall have the right to demand the production of books, accounts, connected vouchers and other documents and papers and to inspect any of the offices of the Authority.
(4) The accounts of the Authority as certified by the Comptroller and Auditor-General of India or any other person appointed by him in this behalf together with the audit report thereon shall be forwarded annually to the Central Government and that Government shall cause the same to be laid before each House of Parliament.
1 Ins. by Act 2 of 2000, s. 12 (w.e.f. 24-1-2000).
Title: Furnishing of returns, etc., to Central Government
(1) The Authority shall furnish to the Central Government at such time and in such form and manner as may be prescribed or as the Central Government may direct, such returns and statements and such particulars in regard to any proposed or existing programme for the promotion and development of the telecommunication services, as the Central Government may from time to time, require.
(2) The Authority shall prepare once every year in such form and at such time as may be prescribed, an annual report giving a summary of its activities during the previous year and copies of the report shall be forwarded to the Central Government.
(3) A copy of the report received under sub-section (2) shall be laid, as soon as may be after it is received, before each House of Parliament.
Title: Power of Central Government to issue directions
(1) The Central Government may, from to time to time, issue to the Authority such directions as it may think necessary in the interest of the sovereignty and integrity of India, the security of the State, friendly relations with foreign States, public order, decency or morality.
(2) Without prejudice to the foregoing provisions, the Authority shall, in exercise of its powers or the performance of its functions, be bound by such directions on questions of policy as the Central Government may give in writing to it from time to time:
Provided that the Authority shall, as far as practicable, be given an opportunity to express its views before any direction is given under this sub-section.
(3) The decision of the Central Government whether a question is one of policy or not shall be final.
Title: Members, officers and employees of Authority to be public servants.
All members, officers and other employees of the Authority shall be deemed, when acting or purporting to act in pursuance of any of the provisions of this Act to be public servants within the meaning of section 21 of the Indian Penal Code (45 of 1860).