Section 43 in The Mahatma Gandhi Antarrashtriya Hindi Vishwavidyalaya Act, 1996
Title: Transitional provisions
Notwithstanding anything contained in this Act and the Statutes,--
(a) the first Chancellor shall be appointed by the Visitor and the said officer shall hold office for a term of five years;
(b) the first Vice-Chancellor shall be appointed by the Visitor in such manner and on such conditions as may be deemed fit and the said officer shall hold office for such term, not exceeding five years as may be specified by the Visitor;
(c) the first Registrar and the first Finance Officer shall be appointed by the Visitor and each of the said officers shall hold office for a term of three years;
(d) the first Court and the first Executive Council shall consist of not more than thirty members and eleven members respectively who shall be nominated by the Visitor and they shall hold office for a term of three years;
(e) the first Academic Council shall consist of not more than twenty-one members who shall be nominated by the Visitor and shall hold office for a term of three years:
Provided that if any vacancy occurs in the above offices or authorities, the same shall be filled by appointment or nomination, as the case may be, by the Visitor, and the person so appointed or nominated shall hold office for so long as the officer or member in whose place he is appointed or nominated would have held that office, if such vacancy had not occurred.
Title: Statutes, Ordinances and Regulations to be published in the Official Gazette and to be laid before Parliament
(1) Every Statute, Ordinance or Regulation made under this Act shall be published in the Official Gazette.
(2) Every Statute, Ordinance or Regulation made under this Act shall be laid, as soon as may be after it is made, before each House of Parliament, while it is in session, for a total period of thirty days which may be comprised in one session or in two or more successive sessions, and if, before the expiry of the session immediately following the session or the successive sessions aforesaid, both Houses agree in making any modification in the Statute, Ordinance or Regulation or both Houses agree that the Statute, Ordinance or Regulation should not be made, the Statute, Ordinance or Regulation shall thereafter have effect only in such modified form or be of no effect, as the case may be; so, however, that any such modification or annulment shall be without prejudice to the validity of anything previously down under that Statute, Ordinance or Regulation.
(3) The power to make Statutes Ordinances or Regulations shall include the power to give retrospective effect from a date not earlier than the date of commencement of this Act, to the Statutes, Ordinances or Regulations or any of them but not retrospective effect shall be given to any Statute, Ordinance or Regulation so as to prejudicially affect the Interests of any person to whom such Statute, Ordinance or Regulation may be applicable.
Title: Short title, extent and commencement
(1) This Act may be called the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India Act, 1997.
(2) It extends to the whole of India.
(3) It shall be deemed to have come into force on the 25th day of January, 1997.
(1) In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires,--
(a) "appointed day" means the date with effect from which the Authority is established under sub-section (1) of section 3;
1[(aa) "Appellate Tribunal" means the Telecom Disputes Settlement and Appellate Tribunal established under section 14;]
(b) "Authority" means the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India established under sub-section (1) of section 3;
(c) "Chairperson" means the Chairperson of the Authority appointed under sub-section (3) of section 3;
(d) "Fund" means the Fund constituted under sub-section (1) of section 22;
(e) licensee means any person licensed under sub-section (1) of section 4 of the Indian Telegraph Act, 1885 (13 of 1885) for providing specified public telecommunication services;
1[(ea) "licensor" means the Central Government or the telegraph authority who grants a licence under section 4 of the Indian Telegraph Act, 1885 (13 of 1885);]
(f) "member" means a member of the Authority appointed under sub-section (3) of section 3 and includes the Chairperson and the Vice-Chairperson;
(g) "notification" means a notification published in the Official Gazette;
(h) "prescribed" means prescribed by rules made under this Act;
(i) "regulations" means regulations made by the Authority under this Act;
(j) "service provider" means the 2[Government as a service provider] and includes a licensee;
(k) "telecommunication service" means service of any description (including electronic mail, voice mail, data services, audio tex services, video tex services, radio paging and cellular mobile telephone services) which is made available to users by means of any transmission or reception of signs, signals, writing, images and sounds or intelligence of any nature, by wire, radio, visual or other electro-magnetic means but shall not include broadcasting services.
3[Provided that the Central Government may notify other service to be telecommunication service including broadcasting services.]
(2) Words and expressions used and not defined in this Act but defined in the Indian Telegraph Act, 1885 (13 of 1885) or the Indian Wireless Telegraphy Act, 1933 (17 of 1933), shall have the meanings respectively assigned to them in those Acts.
(3) Any reference in this Act to a law which is not in force in the State of Jammu and Kashmir* shall in relation to that State be construed as a reference to the corresponding law, if any, in that State.
1. Ins. by s. 3, ibid. (w.e.f. 24-1-2000).
2. Subs. by s. 3, ibid., for "Government" (w.e.f. 24-1-2000).
3. Ins. by Act 2 of 2000, s. 3 (w.e.f. 24-1-2000).
*. Vide notification No. S.O. 3912(E), dated 30th October, 2019, this Act is made applicable to the Union territory of Jammu and Kashmir and the Union territory of Ladakh.
Title: Establishment and incorporation of Authority
(1) With effect from such date as the Central Government may, by notification appoint, there shall be established, for the purposes of this Act, an Authority to be called the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India.
(2) The Authority shall be a body corporate by the name aforesaid, having perpetual succession and a common seal, with power, subject to the provisions of this Act, to acquire, hold and dispose of property, both movable and immovable, and to contract, and shall, by the said name, sue or be sued.
1[(3) The Authority shall consist of a Chairperson, and not more than two whole-time members and not more than two part-time members, to be appointed by the Central Government.]
(4) The head office of the Authority shall be at New Delhi.
1 Subs. by s. 4, ibid., for sub-section (3) (w.e.f. 24-1-2000).