Section 23 in The Mahatma Gandhi Antarrashtriya Hindi Vishwavidyalaya Act, 1996
Title: The Boards of studies
The constitution, powers and functions of the Board of Studies shall be prescribed by the Statutes.
Title: The Finance Committee
The constitution, powers and functions of the Finance Committee shall be prescribed by the Statutes.
Title: Other authorities of the University
The constitution, powers and functions of other authorities, as may be declared by the Statutes to be the authorities of the University, shall be prescribed by the Statutes.
Title: Power to make Statutes
Subject to the provisions of this Act, the Statutes may provide for all or any of the following matters, namely:--
(a) the constitution, powers and functions of the authorities and other bodies of the University, as may be constituted from time to time;
(b) the appointment and continuance in office of the members of the said authorities and bodies, filling up of vacancies of members and all other matters relating to those authorities and other bodies for which it may be necessary or desirable to provide;
(c) the appointment, powers and duties of the officers of the University and their emoluments;
(d) the appointment of teachers, academic staff and other employees of the University, their emoluments and other conditions of service;
(e) the appointment of teachers and academic staff working in any other University or organisation for specific period for undertaking a joint project;
(f) the conditions of service of employees including provision for pension, insurance and provident fund, the manner of termination of service and disciplinary action;
(g) the principles governing the seniority of service of the employees of the University;
(h) the procedure for arbitration in cases of dispute between employees or students and the University;
(i) the procedure for appeal to the Executive Council by any employee or student against the action of any officer or authority of the University;
(j) the conferment of autonomous status on an Institution or a Department;
(k) the establishment and abolition of Schools, Departments, Centres, Halls and Institutions;
(l) the conferment of honorary degrees;
(m) the withdrawal of degrees, diplomas, certificates and other academic distinctions;
(n) the institution of fellowships, scholarships, studentships, medals and prizes;
(o) the delegation of powers vested in the authorities or officers of the University;
(p) the maintenance of discipline among the employees and students;
(q) all other matters which by this Act are to be or may be provided for by the Statutes.
Title: Statutes how to be made
(1) The first Statutes are those set out in the Schedule.
(2) The Executive Council may, from time to time, make new or additional Statutes or may amend or repeal the Statutes referred to in sub-section (1):
Provided that the Executive Council shall not make, amend or repeal any Statutes affecting the status, powers or constitution of any authority of the University until such authority has been given an opportunity of expressing an opinion in writing on the proposed changes and any opinion so expressed shall be considered by the Executive Council:
Provided further that the Executive Council shall not consider to make, amend or repeal any Statute relating to the matters provided under clauses (j) and (k) of section 26 except with the prior approval of the Visitor.
(3) Every new Statute or addition to the Statutes or any amendment or repeal of a Statute shall require the assent of the Visitor who may assent thereto or withhold assent or remit to the Executive Council for re-consideration.
(4) A new Statute or a Statute amending or repealing an existing Statute shall have no validity unless it has been assented to by the Visitor.
(5) Notwithstanding anything contained in the foregoing sub- sections, the Visitor may make new or additional Statutes or amend or repeal the Statutes referred to in sub-section (1), during the period of three years immediately after the commencement of this Act:
Provided that the Visitor may, on the expiry of the said period of three years, make, within one year from the date of such expiry, such detailed Statutes as he may consider necessary and such detailed Statutes shall be laid before both Houses of Parliament.
(6) Notwithstanding anything contained in the foregoing sub-sections, the Visitor may direct the University to make provisions in the Statutes in respect of any matter specified by him and if the Executive Council is unable to implement such direction within sixty days of its receipt, the Visitor may, after considering the reasons, if any, communicated by the Executive Council for its inability to comply with such direction, make or amend the Statutes suitably.