Section 8 in The Mahatma Gandhi Antarrashtriya Hindi Vishwavidyalaya Act, 1996
Title: Residence of students.
The University shall, primarily, be a residential University:
Provided that the requirements of residence shall be regulated in such manner as may be prescribed by the Ordinances.
Title: The Visitor
(1) The President of India shall be the Visitor of the University.
(2) The Visitor may, from time to time, appoint one or more persons to review the work and progress of the University, including any Institution managed by it, and to submit a report thereon; and upon receipt of that report the Visitor may, after obtaining the views of the Executive Council thereon through the Vice-Chancellor, take such action and issue such directions as he considers necessary in respect of any of the matters dealt with in the report and the University shall be bound to comply with such directions.
(3) The Visitor shall have the right to cause an inspection to be made by such person or persons as he may direct, of the University, its buildings, laboratories and equipment and of an Institution and also of the examinations, teaching and other work conducted or done by the University and to cause an inquiry to be made in like manner in respect of any matter connected with the administration or finances of the University or Institutions.
(4) The Visitor shall, in every matter referred to in sub-section (2), give notice of his intention to cause an inspection or inquiry to be made to the University and the University shall have the right to make such representations to the Visitor, as it may consider necessary.
(5) After considering the representations, if any, made by the University, the Visitor may cause to be made such inspection or inquiry as is referred to in sub-section (3).
(6) Where any inspection or inquiry has been caused to be made by the Visitor, the University shall be entitled to appoint a representative, who shall have the right to be present and be heard at such inspection or inquiry.
(7) The Visitor may, if the inspection or inquiry is made in respect of the University or any Institution address the Vice-Chancellor with reference to the result of such inspection or inquiry together with such views and advice with regard to the action to be taken thereon, as the Visitor may be pleased to offer, and on receipt of address made by the Visitor, the Vice-Chancellor shall communicate to the Executive Council, the views of the Visitor with such advice as the Visitor may offer upon the action to be taken thereon.
(8) The Executive Council shall communicate, through the Vice-Chancellor, to the Visitor such action, if any, as it proposes to take or has been taken upon the result of such inspection or inquiry.
(9) Where, the Executive Council does not, within a reasonable time, take action to the satisfaction of the Visitor, the Visitor may, after considering any explanation furnished or representation made by the Executive Council, issue such directions as he may think fit and the Executive Council shall comply with such directions.
(10) Without prejudice to the foregoing provisions of this section, the Visitor may, by order in writing, annul any proceeding of the University which is not in conformity with this Act, the Statutes or the Ordinances:
Provided that before making any such order, he shall call upon the Registrar to show cause why such an order should not be made, and, if any cause is shown within a reasonable time, he shall consider the same.
(11) The Visitor shall have such other powers as may be prescribed by the Statutes.
Title: Officers of the University
The following shall be the officers of the University:--
(1) the Chancellor;
(2) the Vice-Chancellor;
(3) the Pro-Vice-Chancellor;
(4) the Deans of Schools;
(5) the Registrar;
(6) the Finance Officer;
(7) the Librarian; and
(8) such other officers as may be declared by the Statutes to be officers of the University.
Title: The Chancellor
(1) The Chancellor shall be appointed by the Visitor in such manner as may be prescribed by the Statutes.
(2) The Chancellor shall, by virtue of his office, be the head of the University.
(3) The Chancellor shall, if present, preside at the convocation of the University held for conferring degrees and the meetings of the Court.
Title: The Vice-Chancellor
(1) The Vice-Chancellor shall be appointed by the Visitor in such manner and on such terms and conditions of service as may be prescribed by the Statutes.
(2) The Vice-Chancellor shall be the principal executive and academic officer of the University and shall exercise general supervision and control over the affairs of the University and give effect to the decisions of all the authorities of the University.
(3) The Vice-Chancellor may, if he is of opinion that immediate action is necessary on any matter, exercise any power conferred on any authority of the University by or under this Act and shall report to such authority the action taken by him on such matters:
Provided that if the authority concerned is of opinion that such action ought not to have been taken, it may refer the matter to the Visitor whose decision thereon shall be final:
Provided further that any person in the service of the University who is aggrieved by the action taken by the Vice-Chancellor under this sub-section shall have the right to appeal against such action to the Executive Council within three months from the date on which decision on such action is communicated to him and thereupon the Executive Council may confirm, modify or reverse the action taken by the ViceChancellor.
(4) The Vice-Chancellor, if he is of the opinion that any decision of any authority of the University is beyond the powers of the authority conferred by the provisions of this Act, the Statutes or the Ordinances or that any decision taken is not in the interest of the University, may ask the authority concerned to review its decision within sixty days of such decision and if the authority refuses to review the decision either in whole or in part or no decision is taken by it within the said period of sixty days, the matter shall be referred to the Visitor whose decision thereon shall be final.
(5) The Vice-Chancellor shall exercise such other powers and perform such other duties as may be prescribed by the Statutes or the Ordinances.