Section 43 in The Maulana Azad National Urdu University Act, 1996
Title: Statutes, Ordinances and Regulations to be published in the Official Gazette and to be laid before Parliament
(1) Every Statute, Ordinance or Regulation made under this Act shall be published in the Official Gazette.
(2) Every Statute, Ordinance or Regulation made under this Act shall be laid, as soon as may be after it is made, before each House of Parliament, while it is in session, for a total period of thirty days which may be comprised in one session or in two or more successive sessions, and if, before the expiry of the session immediately following the session or the successive sessions aforesaid, both Houses agree in making any modification in the Statute, Ordinance or Regulation or both Houses agree that the Statute, Ordinance or Regulation should not be made, the Statute, Ordinance or Regulation shall thereafter have effect only in such modified form or be of no effect, as the case may be; so, however, that any such modification or annulment shall be without prejudice to the validity of anything previously done under that Statute, Ordinance or Regulation.
(3) The power to make Statutes, Ordinances or Regulations shall include the power to give retrospective effect from a date not earlier than the date of commencement of this Act, to the Statutes, Ordinance or Regulations or any of them but no retrospective effect shall be given to any Statute, Ordinance or Regulation so as to prejudically affect the interests of any person to whom such Statute, Ordinance or Regulation may be applicable.
Title: Short title and commencement
(1) This Act may be called the Mahatma Gandhi Antarrashtriya Hindi Vishwavidyalaya Act, 1996.
(2) It shall come into force on such date1 as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint.
1. 29th December, 1997, vide notification No. S.O. 912(E), dated 29th November, 1997, see Gazette of India, Extraordinary, Part II, sec. 3(ii).
In this Act, and the Statutes made hereunder, unless the context otherwise requires,--
(a) "Academic Council" means the Academic Council of the University;
(b) "academic staff" means such categories of staff as are designated as academic staff by the Ordinances;
(c) "Board of Studies" means the Board of Studies of the University;
(d) "Chancellor", "Vice-Chancellor" and Pro-Vice-Chancellor" mean, respectively, the Chancellor, Vice-Chancellor and Pro-Vice-Chancellor of the University;
(e) "Court" means the Court of the University;
(f) "Department" means a Department of Studies and includes a Centre of Studies;
(g) "distance education system" means the system of imparting education through any means of communication, such as broadcasting, telecasting, correspondence courses, seminars, contact programmes or the combination of any two or more such means;
(h) "employee" means any person appointed by the University, and includes teachers and other staff of the University;
(i) "Executive Council" means the Executive Council of the University;
(j) "Finance Committee" means the Finance Committee of the University;
(k) "Hall" means a unit of residence or of corporate life for the students of the University, or of an Institution maintained by the University;
(l) "Institution" means an academic institution, not being a College, maintained by the University;
(m) "recognised Institution" means an institution of higher learning recognised by the University;
(n) "Regulations" means the Regulations made by any authority of the University under this Act for the time being in force;
(o) "School" means a School of Studies of the University;
(p) "Statutes" and "Ordinances" mean, respectively, the Statutes and Ordinances of the University for the time being in force;
(q) "teachers of the University" means Professors, Readers, Lecturers and such other persons as may be appointed for imparting instruction or conducting research in the University or in any Institution maintained by the University and are designated as teachers by the Ordinances;
(r) "University" means the Mahatma Gandhi Antarrashtriya Hindi Vishwavidyalaya established and incorporated as a University under this Act.
Title: Establishment of the University
(1) There shall be established a University by the name of "Mahatma Gandhi Antarrashtriya Hindi Vishwavidyalaya".
(2) The headquarters of the University shall be at Wardha.
(3) The first Chancellor and the first Vice-Chancellor and the first members of the Court, the Executive Council and the Academic Council and all persons who may hereafter become such officers or members, so long as they continue to hold such office or membership, are hereby constituted a body corporate by the name of "Mahatma Gandhi Antarrashtriya Hindi Vishwavidyalaya".
(4) The University shall have perpetual succession and a common seal and shall sue and be sued by the said name.
Title: Objects of the University
The objects of the University shall be to promote and develop Hindi language and literature in general and, for that purpose, to provide for instructional and research facilities in the relevant branches of learning; to provide for active pursuit of comparative studies and research in Hindi and other Indian languages; to create facilities for development and dissemination of relevant information in the country and abroad; to offer programmes of Research, Education and Training in areas like translation, interpretation and linguistics for improving the functional effectiveness of Hindi; to reach out to Hindi scholars and groups interested in Hindi abroad and to associate them in teaching and research and to popularize Hindi through distance education system.