Section 42 in The Maulana Azad National Urdu University Act, 1996
Title: Transitional provisions
Notwithstanding anything contained in this Act and the Statutes,--
(a) the first Chancellor shall be appointed by the Visitor and the said officer shall hold office for a term of five years;
(b) the first Vice-Chancellor shall be appointed by the Visitor and the said officer shall hold office for a term of five years;
(c) the first Registrar and the First Finance Officer shall be appointed by the Visitor and each of the said officers shall hold office for a term of three years;
(d) the first Court and the first Executive Council shall consist of not more than thirty members and eleven members, respectively, who shall be nominated by the Visitor and they shall hold office for a term of three years;
(e) the first Academic Council shall consist of not more than twenty-one members, who shall be nominated by the Visitor and shall hold office for a term of three years:
Provided that if any vacancy occurs in the above offices or authorities, the same shall be filled by appointment or nomination, as the case may be, by the Visitor, and the person so appointed or nominated shall hold office for so long as the officer or member in whose place he is appointed or nominated would have held that office, if such vacancy had not occurred.
Title: Statutes, Ordinances and Regulations to be published in the Official Gazette and to be laid before Parliament
(1) Every Statute, Ordinance or Regulation made under this Act shall be published in the Official Gazette.
(2) Every Statute, Ordinance or Regulation made under this Act shall be laid, as soon as may be after it is made, before each House of Parliament, while it is in session, for a total period of thirty days which may be comprised in one session or in two or more successive sessions, and if, before the expiry of the session immediately following the session or the successive sessions aforesaid, both Houses agree in making any modification in the Statute, Ordinance or Regulation or both Houses agree that the Statute, Ordinance or Regulation should not be made, the Statute, Ordinance or Regulation shall thereafter have effect only in such modified form or be of no effect, as the case may be; so, however, that any such modification or annulment shall be without prejudice to the validity of anything previously done under that Statute, Ordinance or Regulation.
(3) The power to make Statutes, Ordinances or Regulations shall include the power to give retrospective effect from a date not earlier than the date of commencement of this Act, to the Statutes, Ordinance or Regulations or any of them but no retrospective effect shall be given to any Statute, Ordinance or Regulation so as to prejudically affect the interests of any person to whom such Statute, Ordinance or Regulation may be applicable.
Title: Short title and commencement
(1) This Act may be called the Mahatma Gandhi Antarrashtriya Hindi Vishwavidyalaya Act, 1996.
(2) It shall come into force on such date1 as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint.
1. 29th December, 1997, vide notification No. S.O. 912(E), dated 29th November, 1997, see Gazette of India, Extraordinary, Part II, sec. 3(ii).
In this Act, and the Statutes made hereunder, unless the context otherwise requires,--
(a) "Academic Council" means the Academic Council of the University;
(b) "academic staff" means such categories of staff as are designated as academic staff by the Ordinances;
(c) "Board of Studies" means the Board of Studies of the University;
(d) "Chancellor", "Vice-Chancellor" and Pro-Vice-Chancellor" mean, respectively, the Chancellor, Vice-Chancellor and Pro-Vice-Chancellor of the University;
(e) "Court" means the Court of the University;
(f) "Department" means a Department of Studies and includes a Centre of Studies;
(g) "distance education system" means the system of imparting education through any means of communication, such as broadcasting, telecasting, correspondence courses, seminars, contact programmes or the combination of any two or more such means;
(h) "employee" means any person appointed by the University, and includes teachers and other staff of the University;
(i) "Executive Council" means the Executive Council of the University;
(j) "Finance Committee" means the Finance Committee of the University;
(k) "Hall" means a unit of residence or of corporate life for the students of the University, or of an Institution maintained by the University;
(l) "Institution" means an academic institution, not being a College, maintained by the University;
(m) "recognised Institution" means an institution of higher learning recognised by the University;
(n) "Regulations" means the Regulations made by any authority of the University under this Act for the time being in force;
(o) "School" means a School of Studies of the University;
(p) "Statutes" and "Ordinances" mean, respectively, the Statutes and Ordinances of the University for the time being in force;
(q) "teachers of the University" means Professors, Readers, Lecturers and such other persons as may be appointed for imparting instruction or conducting research in the University or in any Institution maintained by the University and are designated as teachers by the Ordinances;
(r) "University" means the Mahatma Gandhi Antarrashtriya Hindi Vishwavidyalaya established and incorporated as a University under this Act.
Title: Establishment of the University
(1) There shall be established a University by the name of "Mahatma Gandhi Antarrashtriya Hindi Vishwavidyalaya".
(2) The headquarters of the University shall be at Wardha.
(3) The first Chancellor and the first Vice-Chancellor and the first members of the Court, the Executive Council and the Academic Council and all persons who may hereafter become such officers or members, so long as they continue to hold such office or membership, are hereby constituted a body corporate by the name of "Mahatma Gandhi Antarrashtriya Hindi Vishwavidyalaya".
(4) The University shall have perpetual succession and a common seal and shall sue and be sued by the said name.