Section 17 in The Building and Other Construction Workers (Regulation of Employment and Conditions of Service) Act, 1996
Title: Effect of non-payment of contribution
When a beneficiary has not paid his contribution under sub-section (1) of section 16 for a continuous period of not less than one year, he shall cease to be a beneficiary:
Provided that if the Secretary of the Board is satisfied that the non-payment of contribution was for a reasonable ground and that the building worker is willing to deposit the arrears, he may allow the building worker to deposit the contribution in arrears and on such deposit being made, the registration of building worker shall stand restored.
Title: Constitution of State Welfare Boards
(1) Every State Government shall, with effect from such date as it may, by notification, appoint, constitute a Board to be known as the ...... (name of the State) Building and Other Construction Workers' Welfare Board to exercise the powers conferred on, and perform the functions assigned to, it under this Act.
(2) The Board shall be a body corporate by the name aforesaid, having perpetual succession and a common seal and shall by the said name sue and be sued.
(3) The Board shall consist of a chairperson, a person to be nominated by the Central Government and such number of other members, not exceeding fifteen, as may be appointed to it by the State Government:
Provided that the Board shall include an equal number of members representing the State Government, the employers and the building workers and that at least one member of the Board shall be a woman.
(4) The terms and conditions of appointment and the salaries and other allowances payable to the chairperson and the other members of the Board, and the manner of filling of casual vacancies of the members of the Board, shall be such as may be prescribed.
Title: Secretary and other officers of Boards
(1) The Board shall appoint a Secretary and such other officers and employees as it considers necessary for the efficient discharge of its functions under this Act.
(2) The secretary of the Board shall be its chief executive officer.
(3) The terms and conditions of appointment and the salary and allowances payable to the Secretary and the other officers and employees of the Board shall be such as may be prescribed.
Title: Meetings of Boards
(1) The Board shall meet at such time and place and observe such rules of procedure in regard to the transaction of business at its meetings (including the quorum at such meetings) as may be prescribed.
(2) The chairperson or, if for any reason he is unable to attend a meeting of the Board, any member nominated by the chairperson in this behalf and in the absence of such nomination, any other member elected by the members present from amongst themselves at the meeting, shall preside at the meeting.
(3) All questions which come up before any meeting of the Board shall be decided by a majority of votes of the members present and voting, and in the event of equality of votes, the chairperson, or in his absence, the person presiding, shall have a second or a casting vote.
Title: Vacancies, etc., not to invalidate proceedings of the Boards
No act or proceedings of a Board shall be invalid merely by reason of—
(a) any vacancy in, or any defect in the constitution of, the Board; or
(b) any defect in the appointment of a person acting as a member of the Board; or
(c) any irregularity in the procedure of the Board not affecting the merits of the case.