Section 11 in The Depositories Act, 1996
Title: Register of beneficial owner
Every depository shall maintain a register and an index of beneficial owners in the manner provided in sections 150, 151 and 152 of the Companies Act, 1956 (1 of 1956).
Title: Pledge or hypothecation of securities held in a depository
(1) Subject to such regulations and bye-laws, as may be made in this behalf, a beneficial owner may with the previous approval of the depository create a pledge or hypothecation in respect of a security owned by him through a depository.
(2) Every beneficial owner shall give intimation of such pledge or hypothecation to the depository and such depository shall thereupon make entries in its records accordingly.
(3) Any entry in the records of a depository under sub-section (2) shall be evidence of a pledge or hypothecation.
Title: Furnishing of information and records by depository and issuer
(1) Every depository shall furnish to the issuer information about the transfer of securities in the name of beneficial owners at such intervals and in such manner as may be specified by the bye-laws.
(2) Every issuer shall make available to the depository copies of the relevant records in respect of securities held by such depository.
Title: Option to opt out in respect of any security
(1) If a beneficial owner seeks to opt out of a depository in respect of any security he shall inform the depository accordingly.
(2) The depository shall on receipt of intimation under sub-section (1) make appropriate entries in its records and shall inform the issuer.
(3) Every issuer shall, within thirty days of the receipt of intimation from the depository and on fulfilment of such conditions and on payment of such fees as may be specified by the regulations, issue the certificate of securities to the beneficial owner or the transferee, as the case may be.
Title: Act 18 of 1891 to apply to depositories
The Bankers' Books Evidence Act, 1891 shall apply in relation to a depository as if it were a bank as defined in section 2 of that Act.