Section 9 in The Depositories Act, 1996
Title: Securities in depositories to be in fungible form
(1) All securities held by a depository shall be dematerialised and shall be in a fungible form.
1[(2) Nothing contained in sections 153, 153A, 153B, 187B, 187C and 372 of the Companies Act, 1956 (1 of 1956) shall apply to a depository in respect of securities held by it on behalf of the beneficial owners.]
1. Subs. by Act 8 of 1997, s. 22, for sub-section (2) (w.e.f. 15-1-1997).
Title: Rights of depositories and beneficial owner
(1) Notwithstanding anything contained in any other law for the time being in force, a depository shall be deemed to be the registered owner for the purposes of effecting transfer of ownership of security on behalf of a beneficial owner.
(2) Save as otherwise provided in sub-section (1), the depository as a registered owner shall not have any voting rights or any other rights in respect of securities held by it.
(3) The beneficial owner shall be entitled to all the rights and benefits and be subjected to all the liabilities in respect of his securities held by a depository.
Title: Register of beneficial owner
Every depository shall maintain a register and an index of beneficial owners in the manner provided in sections 150, 151 and 152 of the Companies Act, 1956 (1 of 1956).
Title: Pledge or hypothecation of securities held in a depository
(1) Subject to such regulations and bye-laws, as may be made in this behalf, a beneficial owner may with the previous approval of the depository create a pledge or hypothecation in respect of a security owned by him through a depository.
(2) Every beneficial owner shall give intimation of such pledge or hypothecation to the depository and such depository shall thereupon make entries in its records accordingly.
(3) Any entry in the records of a depository under sub-section (2) shall be evidence of a pledge or hypothecation.
Title: Furnishing of information and records by depository and issuer
(1) Every depository shall furnish to the issuer information about the transfer of securities in the name of beneficial owners at such intervals and in such manner as may be specified by the bye-laws.
(2) Every issuer shall make available to the depository copies of the relevant records in respect of securities held by such depository.