Section 4 in The Depositories Act, 1996
Title: Agreement between depository and participant
(1) A depository shall enter into an agreement with one or more participants as its agent.
(2) Every agreement under sub-section (1) shall be in such form as may be specified by the bye-laws.
Title: Services of depository
Any person, through a participant, may enter into an agreement, in such form as may be specified by the bye-laws, with any depository for availing its services.
Title: Surrender of certificate of security.
(1) Any person who has entered into an agreement under section 5 shall surrender the certificate of security, for which he seeks to avail the services of a depository, to the issuer in such manner as may be specified by the regulations.
(2) The issuer, on receipt of certificate of security under sub-section (1), shall cancel the certificate of security and substitute in its records the name of the depository as a registered owner in respect of that security and inform the depository accordingly.
(3) A depository shall, on receipt of information under sub-section (2), enter the name of the person referred to in sub-section (1) in its records, as the beneficial owner.
Title: Registration of transfer of securities with depository
(1) Every depository shall, on receipt of intimation from a participant, register the transfer of security in the name of the transferee.
1[(1A) Every depository on receipt of intimation from a participant register any transfer of security in favour of an asset reconstruction company as defined in clause (ba) of sub-section (1) of section 2 of the Securitisation and Reconstruction of Financial Assets and Enforcement of Security Interest Act, 2002 (54 of 2002) along with or consequent upon transfer or assignment of financial asset of any bank or financial institution under sub-section (1) of section 5 of that Act.
(1B) Every depository, on receipt of intimation from a participant, register any issue of new shares in favour of any bank or financial institution or asset reconstruction company or any other assignee of such bank or financial institution or asset reconstruction company, as the case may be, by conversion of part of their debt into shares pursuant to reconstruction of debts of the company agreed between the company and the bank or financial institution or asset reconstruction company.
Explanation.--For the purpose of this section, the expressions "asset reconstruction company", "bank", and "financial institution" shall have the meanings assigned to them respectively under clauses (ba), (c) and (m) of sub-section (1) of section 2 of the Securitisation and Reconstruction of Financial Assets and Enforcement of Security Interest Act, 2002 (54 of 2002).]
(2) If a beneficial owner or a transferee of any security seeks to have custody of such security, the depository shall inform the issuer accordingly.
1. Ins. by Act 44 of 2016, s. 44 and the Second Schedule (w.e.f. 1-9-2016)
Title: Options to receive security certificate or hold securities with depository
(1) Every person subscribing to securities offered by an issuer shall have the option either to receive the security certificates or hold securities with a depository.
(2) Where a person opts to hold a security with a depository, the issuer shall intimate such depository the details of allotment of the security, and on receipt of such information the depository shall enter in its records the name of the allottee as the beneficial owner of that security.