Section 8 in The Building and Other Construction Workers Welfare Cess Act, 1996
Title: Interest payable on delay in payment of cess
If any employer fails to pay any amount of cess payable under section 3 within the time specified in the order of assessment, such employer shall be liable to pay interest on the amount to be paid at the rate of two per cent. for every month or part of a month comprised in the period from the date on which such payment is due till such amount is actually paid.
Title: Penalty for non-payment of cess within the specified time
If any amount of cess payable by any employer under section 3 is not paid within the date specified in the order of assessment made under section 5, it shall be deemed to be in arrears and the authority prescribed in this behalf may, after making such inquiry as it deems fit, impose on such employer a penalty not exceeding the amount of cess:
Provided that, before imposing any such penalty, such employer shall be given a reasonable opportunity of being heard and if after such hearing the said authority is satisfied that the default was for any good and sufficient reason, no penalty shall be imposed under this section.
Title: Recovery of amount due under the Act.
Any amount due under this Act (including any interest or penalty) from an employer may be recovered in the same manner as an arrear of land revenue.
(1) Any employer aggrieved by an order of assessment made under section 5 or by an order imposing penalty made under section 9 may, within such time as may be prescribed, appeal to such appellate authority in such form and in such manner as may be prescribed.
(2) Every appeal preferred under sub-section (1) shall be accompanied by such fees as may be prescribed.
(3) After the receipt of any appeal under sub-section (1), the appellate authority shall, after giving the appellant an opportunity of being heard in the matter, dispose of the appeal as expeditiously as possible.
(4) Every order passed in appeal under this section shall be final and shall not be called in question in any court of law.
(1) Whoever, being under an obligation to furnish a return under this Act, furnishes any return knowing, or having reason to believe, the same to be false shall be punishable with imprisonment which may extend to six months, or with fine which may extend to one thousand rupees, or with both.
(2) Whoever, being liable to pay cess under this Act, wilfully or intentionally evades or attempts to evade the payment of such cess shall be punishable with imprisonment which may extend to six months, or with fine, or with both.
(3) No court shall take cognizance of an offence punishable under this section save on a complaint made by or under the authority of the Central Government.