Section 19 in The Cable Television Networks (Regulation) Act, 1995
Title: Power to prohibit transmission of certain programmes in public interest
Where 1[any authorised officer], thinks it necessary or expedient so to do in the public interest, he may, by order, prohibit any cable operator from transmitting or re-transmitting 2[any programme or channel if, it is not in conformity with the prescribed programme code referred to in section 5 and advertisement code referred to in section 6 or if it is]likely to promote, on grounds of religion, race, language, caste or community or any other ground whatsoever, disharmony or feelings of enmity, hatred or ill-will between different religious, racial, linguistic or regional groups or castes or communities or which is likely to disturb the public tranquillity.
1 Subs. by s. 8, ibid., for certain words (w.e.f. 1-9-2000).
2 Subs. by s. 8, ibid., for "any particular programme if it is" (w.e.f. 1-9-2000).
Title: Power to prohibit operation of cable television network in public interest
1[(1)] Where the Central Government thinks it necessary or expedient so to do in public interest, it may prohibit the operation of any cable television network in such areas as it may, by notification in the Official Gazette, specify in this behalf.
2[(2) Where the Central Government thinks it necessary or expedient so to do in the interest of the—
(i) sovereignty or integrity of India; or
(ii) security of India; or
(iii) friendly relations of India with any foreign State; or
(iv) public order, decency or morality,
it may, by order, regulate or prohibit the transmission or re-transmission of any channel or programme.
(3) Where the Central Government considers that any programme of any channel is not inconformity with the prescribed programme code referred to in section 5 or the prescribed advertisement code referred to in section 6, it may by order, regulate or prohibit the transmission or re-transmission of such programme].
1 Section 20 renumbered as sub-section (1) thereof by s. 9, ibid. (w.e.f. 1-9-2000).
2 Ins. by s. 9, ibid. (w.e.f. 1-9-2000).
Title: Application of other laws not barred
The provisions of this Act shall be in addition to, and not in derogation of, the Drugs and Cosmetics Act, 1940 (23 of 1940), the Pharmacy Act, 1948 (8 of 1948), the Emblems and Names (Prevention of Improper Use) Act, 1950 (12 of 1950), the Drugs (Control) Act, 1950 (26 of 1950), the Cinematograph Act, 1952 (37 of 1952), the Drugs and Magic Remedies (Objectionable Advertisements) Act, 1954 (21 of 1954), the Prevention of Food Adulteration Act, 1954 (37 of 1954), the Prize Competitions Act, 1955 (42 of 1955), the Copyright Act, 1957 (14 of 1957), the Trade and Merchandise Marks, Act, 1958 (43 of 1958), the Indecent Representation of Women (Prohibition) Act, 1986 (60 of 1986) 1[, the Consumer Protection Act, 1986 (68 of 1986) and the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India Act, 1997 (24 of 1997)].
1 Subs. by Act 21 of 2011, s.11, for "and the Consumer Protection Act, 1986" (w.e.f. 25-10-2011).
Title: Power to make rules
(1) The Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, make rules to carry out the provisions of this Act.
(2) In particular, and without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing power, such rules may provide for all or any of the following matters, namely:--
1[(a) the eligibility criteria for different categories of cable operators under sub-section(2) of section 4;]
2[(aa) the form of application, documents to be accompanied and the fees payable under sub-section (4) of section 4;]
3[(aaa) the terms and conditions of registration under sub-section (6) of section4;]
4[(aaaa) the appropriate measures under sub-section (2) of section 4A for implementation of the notification under sub-section (1) of that section;]
(b) the programme code under section 5;
(c) the advertisement code under section 6;
(d) the form of register to be maintained by a cable operator under section 7;
4[(da) the specifications of interference standards for interfering with any telecommunication system under section 10;]
(e) any other matter which is required to be, or may be, prescribed.
(3) Every rule made under this Act shall be laid, as soon as may be after it is made, before each House of Parliament, while it is in session, for a total period of thirty days which may be comprised in one session or in two or more successive sessions, and if, before the expiry of the session immediately following the session or the successive sessions aforesaid, both Houses agree in making any modification in the rule or both Houses agree that the rule should not be made, the rule shall thereafter have effect only in such modified form or be of no effect, as the case may be; so, however, that any such modification or annulment shall be without prejudice to the validity of anything previously done under that rule.
1 Subs. by Act 21 of 2011, s. 12, for clause (a) (w.e.f. 25-10-2011).
2 Subs. by s. 12, ibid., for clause (aa) (w.e.f. 25-10-2011).
3 Subs. by s. 12, ibid., for clause (aaa) (w.e.f. 25-10-2011).
4 Ins. by s. 12, ibid. (w.e.f. 25-10-2011).
Title: Repeal and savings
(1) The Cable Television Networks (Regulation) Ordinance, 1995 (Ord. 3 of 1995) is hereby repealed.
(2) Notwithstanding such repeal, anything done or any action taken under the said Ordinance, shall be deemed to have been done or taken under the corresponding provision of this Act.