Section 22 in The Airports Authority of India Act, 1994
Title: Power of the Authority to charge, fees, rent, etc
The Authority may,--
(i) with the previous approval of the Central Government, charge fees or rent—
(a) for the landing, housing or parking of aircraft or for any other service or facility offered in connection with aircraft operations at any airport, heliport or airstrip.
Explanation.--In this sub-clause "aircraft" does not include an aircraft belonging to any armed force of the Union and "aircraft operations" does not include operations of any aircraft belonging to the said force;
(b) for providing air traffic services, ground safety services, aeronautical communications and navigational aids and meteorological services at any airport and at any aeronautical communication station;
(c) for the amenities given to the passengers and visitors at any airport, civil enclave, heliport or airstrip;
(d) for the use and employment by persons of facilities and other services provided by the Authority at any airport, civil enclave, heliport or airstrip;
(ii) with due regard to the instructions that the Central Government may give to the Authority, from time to time, charge fees or rent from persons who are given by the Authority any facility for carrying on any trade or business at any airport, heliport or airstrip.
Title: Power of Authority to levy development fees at airports.
1[22A. Power of Authority to levy development fees at airports.--2[The Authority may,--
(i) after the previous approval of the Central Government in this behalf, levy on, and collect from, the embarking passengers at an airport other than major airports referred to in clause (h) of section 2 of the Airports Economic Regulatory Authority of India Act, 2008 (27 of 2008) the development fees at the rate as may be prescribed;
(ii) levy, on, and collect from, the embarking passengers at major airport referred to in clause (h) of section 2 of the Airports Economic Regulatory Authority of India Act, 2008 (27 of 2008) the development fees at the rate as may be determined under clause (b) of sub-section (1) of section 13 of the Airports Economic Regulatory Authority of India Act, 2008,
and such fees shall be credited to the Authority and shall be regulated and utilised in the prescribed manner, for the purposes of--]
(a) funding or financing the costs of upgradation, expansion or development of the airport at which the fee is collected; or
(b) establishment or development of a new airport in lieu of the airport referred to in clause (a); or
(c) investment in the equity in respect of shares to be subscribed by the Authority in companies engaged in establishing, owning, developing, operating or maintaining a private airport in lieu of the airport referred to in clause (a) or advancement of loans to such companies or other persons engaged in such activities.]
1. Ins. by Act of 43 of 2003, s.7 (w.e.f. 1-7-2004).
2. Subs. by Act of 27 of 2008, s. 54 and the Schedule, for certain words (w.e.f. 30-11-2008).
Title: Additional capital and grant to the Authority by the Central Government
The Central Government may, after due appropriation made by Parliament, by law in this behalf,--
(a) provide any capital that may be required by the Authority for the discharge of its functions under this Act or for any purpose connected therewith on such terms and conditions as that Government may determine;
(b) pay to the Authority, on such terms and conditions as the Central Government may determine, by way of loans or grants such sums of money as that Government may consider necessary for the efficient discharge by the Authority of its functions under this Act.
Title: Fund of the Authority and its investment
(1) The Authority shall have its own fund and all receipts of the Authority shall be credited thereto and all payments of the Authority shall be made therefrom.
(2) The Authority shall have power, subject to the provisions of this Act, to spend such sums as it thinks fit to cover all administrative expenses of the Authority and on objects or for purposes authorised by this Act and such sums shall be treated as expenditure out of the fund of the Authority.
(3) All moneys standing at the credit of the Authority which cannot immediately be applied as provided in sub-section (2), shall be—
(a) deposited in the State Bank of India or any such Scheduled bank or banks or other public financial institutions subject to such conditions as may, from time to time, be specified by the Central Government; and
(b) invested in the securities of the Central Government or in such manner as may be prescribed.
Explanation-- In this sub-section, "Scheduled bank" has the same meaning as in clause (e) of section of the Reserve Bank of India Act, 1934 (2 of 1934).
Title: Allocation of surplus funds
(1) The Authority may, from time to time, set apart such amounts as it thinks fit as a reserve fund or funds for the purpose of expanding existing facilities or services or creating new facilities or services at any airport, civil enclave, heliport or airstrip or for the purpose of providing against any temporary decrease of revenue or increase of expenditure from transient causes or for purposes of replacement or for meeting expenditure arising from loss or damage from fire, cyclone, air-crash or other accident or for meeting any liability arising out of any act or commission in the discharge of its functions under this Act:
Provided that without prejudice to the right of the Authority to establish specific reserves for one or more specific purposes, the Authority shall also have the power to establish a general reserve:
Provided further that the sums set apart annually in respect of each or any of the specific and general reserves and the aggregate at any time of such sums shall not exceed such limits as may, from time to time, be fixed in that behalf by the Central Government.
(2) After making provision for such reserve fund or funds and for bad and doubtful debts, depreciation in assets and all other matters which are usually provided for by companies registered and incorporated under the Companies Act, 1956 (1 of 1956) the Authority shall pay the balance of its annual net profits to the Central Government.