Section 8 in The Pre-conception and Pre-natal Diagnostic Techniques (Prohibition of Sex Selection) Act, 1994
Title: Term of office of members
(1) The term of office of a member, other than an ex officio member, shall be,--
(a) in case of appointment under clause (e) or clause (f) of sub-section (2) of section 7, three years: 1***
2[Provided that the term of office of a member elected under clause (f) of sub-section (2) of section 7 shall come to an end as soon as the member becomes a Minister or Minister of State or Deputy Minister, or the Speaker or the Deputy Speaker of the House of the People, or the Deputy Chairman of the Council of States or ceases to be a member of the House from which she was elected; and]
(b) in case of appointment under clause (g) of the said sub-section, one year.
(2) If a casual vacancy occurs in the office of any other members, whether by reason of his death, resignation or inability to discharge his functions owing to illness or other incapacity, such vacancy shall be filled by the Central Government by making a fresh appointment and the member so appointed shall hold office for the remainder of the term of office of the person in whose place he is so appointed.
(3) The Vice-Chairman shall perform such functions as may be assigned to him by the Chairman from time to time.
(4) The procedure to be followed by the members in the discharge of their functions shall be such as may be prescribed.
1. The word "and" omitted by Act 32 of 2001, s. 2 (w.e.f. 3-9-2001).
2. Ins. by s. 2, ibid. (w.e.f. 3-9-2001).
Title: Meetings of the Board
(1) The Board shall meet at such time and place, and shall observe such rules of procedure in regard to the transaction of business at its meetings (including the quorum at such meetings) as may be provided by regulations:
Provided that the Board shall meet at least once in six months.
(2) The Chairman and in his absence the Vice-Chairman shall preside at the meetings of the Board.
(3) If for any reason the Chairman or the Vice-Chairman is unable to attend any meeting of the Board, any other member chosen by the members present at the meeting shall preside at the meeting.
(4) All questions which come up before any meeting of the Board shall be decided by a majority of the votes of the members present and voting, and in the event of an equality of votes, the Chairman, or in his absence, the person presiding, shall have and exercise a second or casting vote.
(5) Members other than ex officio members shall receive such allowances, if any, from the Board as may be prescribed.
Title: Vacancies, etc., not to invalidate proceedings of the Board.
No act or proceeding of the Board shall be invalid merely by reason of—
(a) any vacancy in, or any defect in the constitution of, the Board; or
(b) any defect in the appointment of a person acting as a member of the Board; or
(c) any irregularity in the procedure of the Board not affecting the merits of the case.
Title: Temporary association of persons with the Board for particular purposes
(1) The Board may associate with itself, in such manner and for such purposes as may be determined by regulations, any person whose assistance or advice it may desire in carrying out any of the provisions of this Act.
(2) A person associated with it by the Board under sub-section (1) for any purpose shall have a right to take part in the discussions relevant to that purpose, but shall not have a right to vote at a meeting of the Board and shall not be a member for any other purpose.
Title: Appointment of officers and other employees of the Board
(1) For the purpose of enabling it efficiently to discharge its functions under this Act, the Board may, subject to such regulations as may be made in this behalf, appoint (whether on deputation or otherwise) such number of officers and other employees as it may consider necessary:
Provided that the appointment of such category of officers, as may be specified in such regulations, shall be subject to the approval of the Central Government.
(2) Every officer or other employee appointed by the Board shall be subject to such conditions of service and shall be entitled to such remuneration as may be specified in the regulations.