Section 24 in The Protection of Human Rights Act, 1993
Title: Term of office of Chairperson and Members of the State Commission
1[24. Term of office of Chairperson and Members of the State Commission.---(1) A person appointed as Chairperson shall hold office for a term of 2[three years] from the date on which he enters upon his office or until he attains the age of seventy years, whichever is earlier 3[and shall be eligible for re-appointment].
(2) A person appointed as a Member shall hold office for a term of 2[three years] from the date on which he enters upon his office and shall be eligible for re-appointment 4***:
Provided that no Member shall hold office after he has attained the age of seventy years.
(3) On ceasing to hold office, a Chairperson or a Member shall be ineligible for further employment under the Government of a State or under the Government of India.]
1. Subs. by Act 43 of 2006, s. 15, for section 24 (w.e.f. 23-11-2006).
2. Subs. by Act 19 of 2019, s. 6, for “five years” (w.e.f. 2-8-2019).
3. Ins. by s. 6, ibid. (w.e.f. 2-8-2019).
4. The words “for another term of five years” omitted by Act 19 of 2019, s. 6 (w.e.f. 2-8-2019).
Title: Member to act as Chairperson or to discharge his functions in certain circumstances
(1) In the event of the occurrence of any vacancy in the office of the Chairperson by reason of his death, resignation or otherwise, the Governor may, by notification, authorise one of the Members to act as the Chairperson until the appointment of a new Chairperson to fill such vacancy.
(2) When the Chairperson is unable to discharge his functions owing to absence on leave or otherwise, such one of the Members as the Governor may, by notification, authorise in this behalf, shall discharge the functions of the Chairperson until the date on which the Chairperson resumes his duties.
Title: Terms and conditions of service of Chairperson and Members of State Commission
1[26. Terms and conditions of service of Chairperson and Members of State Commission.— The salaries and allowances payable to, and other terms and conditions of service of, the Chairperson and Members shall be such as may be prescribed by the State Government:
Provided that neither the salary and allowances nor the other terms and conditions of service of the Chairperson or a Member shall be varied to his disadvantage after his appointment.]
1. Subs. by s.16, ibid., for section 26 (w.e.f. 23-11-2006).
Title: Officers and other staff of the State Commission
(1) The State Government shall make available to the Commission—
(a) an officer not below the rank of a Secretary to the State Government who shall be the Secretary of the State Commission; and
(b) such police and investigative staff under an officer not below the rank of an Inspector General of Police and such other officers and staff as may be necessary for the efficient performance of the functions of the State Commission.
(2) Subject to such rules as may be made by the State Government in this behalf, the State Commission may appoint such other administrative, technical and scientific staff as it may consider necessary.
(3) The salaries, allowances and conditions of service of the officers and other staff appointed under sub-section (2) shall be such as may be prescribed by the State Government.
Title: Annual and special reports of State Commission
(1) The State Commission shall submit an annual report to the State Government and may at any time submit special reports on any matter which, in its opinion, is of such urgency or importance that it should not be deferred till submission of the annual report.
(2) The State Government shall cause the annual and special reports of the State Commission to be laid before each House of State Legislature where it consists of two Houses, or where such Legislature consists of one House, before that House along with a memorandum of action taken or proposed to be taken on the recommendations of the State Commission and the reasons for non-acceptance of the recommendations, if any.