Section 6 in The Protection of Human Rights Act, 1993
Title: Term of office of Chairperson and Members
1[6. Term of office of Chairperson and Members.--(1) A person appointed as Chairperson shall hold office for a term of 2[three years] from the date on which he enters upon his office or until he attains the age of seventy years, whichever is earlier 3[and shall be eligible for re-appointment].
(2) A person appointed as a Member shall hold office for a term of 2[three years] from the date on which he enters upon his office and shall be eligible for re-appointment 4***:
Provided that no Member shall hold office after he has attained the age of seventy years.
(3) On ceasing to hold office, a Chairperson or a Member shall be ineligible for further employment under the Government of India or under the Government of any State.]
1. Subs. by Act 43 of 2006 s. 6, for section 6 (w.e.f. 23-11-2006).
2. Subs. by Act 19 of 2019, s. 4, for “five years” (w.e.f. 2-8-2019).
3. Ins. by s. 4, ibid.(w.e.f. 2-8-2019).
4. The words “for another term of five years” omitted by Act 19 of 2019, s. 4 (w.e.f. 2-8-2019).
Title: Member to act as Chairperson or to discharge his functions in certain circumstances
(1) In the event of the occurrence of any vacancy in the office of the Chairperson by reason of his death, resignation or otherwise, the President may, by notification, authorise one of the Members to act as the Chairperson until the appointment of a new Chairperson to fill such vacancy.
(2) When the Chairperson is unable to discharge his functions owing to absence on leave or otherwise, such one of the Members as the President may, by notification, authorise in this behalf, shall discharge the functions of the Chairperson until the date on which the Chairperson resumes his duties.
Title: Terms and conditions of service of Chairperson and Members
1 [8. Terms and conditions of service of Chairperson and Members.—The salaries and allowances payable to, and the other terms and conditions of service of, the Chairperson and Members shall be such as may be prescribed:
Provided that neither the salary and allowances nor the other terms and conditions of service of the Chairperson or a Member shall be varied to his disadvantage after his appointment.
1. Subs. by Act 43 of 2006, s. 7, for section (8) (w.e.f. 23-11-2006).
Title: Vacancies, etc., not to invalidate the proceedings of the Commission.
No act or proceedings of the Commission shall be questioned or shall be invalidated merely on the ground of existence of any vacancy or defect in the constitution of the Commission.
Title: Procedure to be regulated by the Commission
(1) The Commission shall meet at such time and place as the Chairperson may think fit.
1 [(2) Subject to the provisions of this Act and the rules made thereunder, the Commission shall have the power to lay down by regulations its own procedure.]
(3) All orders and decisions of the Commission shall be authenticated by the Secretary-General or any other officer of the Commission duly authorised by the Chairperson in this behalf.
1. Subs. by s. 8, ibid., for sub-section (2) (w.e.f. 23-11-2006).