Section 7 in The Tezpur University Act, 1993
Title: University open to all classes, castes and creed
The University shall be open to persons of either sex and of whatever caste, creed, race or class, and it shall not be lawful for the University to adopt or impose on any person, any test whatsoever of religious belief or profession in order to entitle him to be appointed as a teacher of the University or to hold any other office therein or be admitted as a student in the University or to graduate thereat or to enjoy or exercise any privilege thereof;
Provided that nothing in this section shall be deemed to prevent the University from making special provisions for the employment or admission of women, physically handicapped or of persons belonging to the weaker sections of the society and, in particular, of the Scheduled Castes and the Scheduled Tribes.
Title: Residence of students
Every student of the University (other than a student who pursues a course of study by distance education system) shall reside in a Hall or hostel or under such conditions as may be prescribed by the Ordinances.
Title: The Visitor
(1) The President of India shall be the Visitor of the University.
(2) The Visitor may, from time to time, appoint one or more persons to review the work and progress of the University, including Colleges and Institutions managed by it, and to submit a report thereon; and upon receipt of that report, the Visitor may, after obtaining the views of the Board of Management thereon through the Vice-Chancellor, take such action and issue such directions as he considers necessary in respect of any of the matters dealt with in the report and the University shall be bound to comply with such directions.
(3) The Visitor shall have the right to cause an inspection to be made by such person or persons as he may direct of the University, its buildings, laboratories and equipment, and of any College or Institution maintained by the University and also of the examinations, teaching and other work conducted or done by the University and to cause an inquiry to be made in like manner in respect of any matter connected with the administration or finances of the University, Colleges or Institutions.
(4) The Visitor shall, in every matter referred to in sub-section (2), give notice of his intention to cause an inspection or inquiry to be made to the University and the University shall have the right to make such representations to the Visitor, as it may consider necessary.
(5) After considering the representations, if any, made by the University, the Visitor may cause to be made such inspection or inquiry as is referred to in sub-section (3).
(6) Where any inspection or inquiry has been caused to be made by the Visitor, the University shall be entitled to appoint a representative, who shall have the right to be present and be heard at such inspection or inquiry.
(7) The Visitor may, if the inspection or inquiry is made in respect of the University or any College or Institution maintained by it, address the Vice-Chancellor with reference to the result of such inspection or inquiry together with such views and advice with regard to the action to be taken thereon, as the Visitor may be pleased to offer, and on receipt of address made by the Visitor, the Vice-Chancellor shall communicate to the Board of Management the views of the Visitor with such advice as the Visitor may offer upon the action to be taken thereon.
(8) The Board of Management shall communicate, through the Vice-Chancellor, to the Visitor such action, if any, as it proposes to take or has been taken upon the result of such inspection or inquiry.
(9) Where the Board of Management does not, within a reasonable time, take action to the satisfaction of the Visitor, the Visitor may, after considering any explanation furnished or representation made by the Board of Management, issue such directions as he may think fit and the Board of Management shall comply with such directions.
(10) Without prejudice to the foregoing provisions of this section, the Visitor may, by order in writing, annul any proceeding of the University which is not in conformity with the Act, the Statutes or the Ordinances:
Provided that before making any such order, he shall call upon the Registrar to show cause why such an order should not be made, and if any cause is shown within a reasonable time, he shall consider the same.
(11) The Visitor shall have such other powers as may be prescribed by the Statutes.
Title: Officers of the University
The following shall be the officers of the University:
(1) the Chancellor;
(2) the Vice-Chancellor;
(3) the Pro-Vice-Chancellor;
(4) the Deans of Schools;
(5) the Registrar;
(6) the Finance Officer; and
(7) such other officers as may be declared by the Statutes to be officers of the University.
Title: The Chancellor
(1) The Governor of the State of Assam shall be the Chancellor of the University.
(2) The Chancellor shall, by virtue of his office, be the Head of the University.
(3) The Chancellor shall, if present, preside at the convocation of the University held for conferring degrees