Section 32 in The Multimodal Transportation of Goods Act, 1993
Title: Repeal and savings
(1) The Multimodal Transportation of Goods Ordinance, 1993 (Ord. 6 of 1993) is hereby repealed.
(2) Notwithstanding such repeal, anything done or any action taken under the said Ordinance, shall be deemed to have been done or taken under the corresponding provisions of this Ac
Title: Short title and commencement
(1) This Act may be called the Tezpur University Act, 1993.
(2) It shall come into force on such date1 as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint.
1. 15th January, 1994, vide notification No. G.S.R 22(E), dated 15th January, 1994, see Gazette of India, Extraordinary, Part II, sec. 3(i).
In this Act, and in all Statutes made hereunder, unless the context otherwise requires,--
(a) "Academic Council" means the Academic Council of the University;
(b) "academic staff" means such categories of staff as are designated as academic staff by the Ordinances;
(c) "Board of Management" means the Board of Management of the University;
(d) "Board of Studies" means the Board of Studies of the University;
(e) "Chancellor", "Vice-Chancellor" and "Pro-Vice-Chancellor" mean, respectively, the Chancellor, Vice-Chancellor and Pro-Vice-Chancellor of the University;
(f) "College" means a College maintained by the University;
(g) "Department" means a Department of Studies, and includes Centre of Studies;
(h) "distance education system" means the system of imparting education through any means of communication, such as broadcasting, telecasting, correspondence courses, seminars, contact programmes or the combination of any two or more such means;
(i) "employee" means any person appointed by the University, and includes teachers and other staff of the University;
(j) "Finance Committee" means the Finance Committee of the University;
(k) "Hall" means a unit of residence or of corporate life for the students of the University, or of a College or of an Institution, maintained by the University;
(l) "Institution" means an academic institution, not being a College, maintained by the University;
(m) "Planning and Academic Committee" means the Planning and Academic Committee of the University;
(n) "Planning Board" means the Planning Board of the University;
(o) "Principal" means the Head of a College or an Institution maintained by the University, and includes, where there is no Principal, the person for the time being duly appointed to act as Principal, and, in the absence of the Principal or the acting Principal, a Vice-Principal duly appointed as such;
(p) "recognised institution" means an institution of higher learning recognised by the University;
(q) "recognised teachers" means such persons as may be recognised by the University for the purpose of imparting instructions in a College or an Institution maintained by the University;
(r) "Regulations" means the Regulations made by any authority of the University under this Act for the time being in force;
(s) "School" means a School of Studies of the University;
(t) "Statutes" and "Ordinances" mean, respectively, the Statutes and Ordinances of the University for the time being in force;
(u) "teachers of the University" means Professors, Readers, Lecturers and such other persons as may be appointed for imparting instruction or conducting research in the University or in any College or Institution maintained by the University and are designated as teachers by the Ordinances;
(v) "University" means the Tezpur University established under this Act.
Title: The University
(1) There shall be established a University by the name of "Tezpur University".
(2) The headquarters of the University shall be at Tezpur and it may also establish campuses at such other places within its jurisdiction as it may deem fit.
(3) The first Vice-Chancellor and the first members of the Board of Management, the Planning and Academic Committee or the Academic Council or the Planning Board and all persons who may hereafter become such officers or members, so long as they continue to hold such office or membership, are hereby constituted a body corporate by the name of "Tezpur University".
(4) The University shall have perpetual succession and a common seal and shall sue and be sued by the said name.
Title: Objects of the University
The objects of the University shall be to disseminate and advance knowledge by providing instructional and research facilities in such branches of learning as it may deem fit; to make provisions for integrated courses in humanities, natural and physical sciences, social sciences, agricultural science and forestry and other allied disciplines in the educational programmes of the University; to take appropriate measures for promoting innovations in teaching-learning processes, inter-disciplinary studies and research; to educate and train manpower for the development of the State of Assam; and to pay special attention to the improvement of the social and economic conditions and welfare of the people of that State, their intellectual, academic and cultural development; and the University shall, in organising its activities, have due regard to the objects specified in the First Schedule.